BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Removing a normal transducer and installing a 1000 watt airmar on a 25 ft boat !

Boat that transducer is being installed on.. 25 ft Pursuit CC...

My guy Jay/Bly is donig the install on this 1000watt Transduer >
No way was a factory high speed fairing block going to work. Jay talked the owner of a 5 year young 25 ft pursuit CC to let him saw zaw a big hole in his bottom! Jay will let the pictures do most of the explaining. Jay had to make a part from the new transducer to glass to the hull. Jay took a brand new 1000 watt 260 bronze transducer wrapped it in carefully planned duck tape and peel ply. No wax used. then Jay started laying up vinylester resin,mat and 1708 glass until over a 1/2 inch thick. Then Jay drilled a hole in the top with out hitting the transducer. Hooked an air line to it and prayed that Jay didnt just destroy an expensive brand new transducer. You can not bang on a transducer with a big mall so the air had to work and did. Then after a number of dry fits and cuts Jay started glassing the new transducer part into the hull.both inside and out.

Picture of where the old transducer was on bottom of boat

Old Transducer Unit

New Hole for 1000 watts transducer unt

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
More Pic's of 1000 watt transducer unit ...

That ugly blue thing is what the transducer could have been mounted to pretty big and bulky lots of drag. Jay took care of that and flush mounted it. The picture is just a comparison of what could have been on the hull and the difference in a nice clean custom install.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Looks like cardinal yacht sales is the place to go for all your custom fiberglass needs. They are really stepping into the custom market. Taking stock boats and putting a little thought and talent into suiting every customers fishing needs. looks like this pursuit owner wanted the best transducer and the cleanest install.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Quick question - what did you wrap the ducer with to make your plug??

Second - as I'm about to do the same myself, I've seen others faired much better. Are you not worried about any kind of turbulence with the lack of fairing?

Lastly, what was the layup schedule?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Its all in the first post I believe.

Second - as I'm about to do the same myself, I've seen others faired much better. Are you not worried about any kind of turbulence with the lack of fairing?

Jay took a brand new 1000 watt 260 bronze transducer wrapped it in carefully planned duck tape and peel ply. No wax used. then Jay started laying up vinylester resin,mat and 1708 glass until over a 1/2 inch thick.

I copied that from first paragraph.
The gap gets filled in with boat caulk I would think meaning no air bubble? What lack of fairing were you talking about it looked pretty well faired to me the transducer looked flush to the hull and the gap gets filled. We will see in the finished pics.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

The tranasducer was wrapped in ducttape " YES " Ducttape! The transducer was not finished in those pictures the gap gets filled with boaters caulk and a small layer of 5200 on the gap between the transducer and the hull. They were just a " dryfit " picture. As far as layup schedule just start laying glass around the transducer until its thick enough or have a "professional" do it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The tranasducer was wrapped in ducttape " YES " Ducttape! The transducer was not finished in those pictures the gap gets filled with boaters caulk and a small layer of 5200 on the gap between the transducer and the hull. They were just a " dryfit " picture. As far as layup schedule just start laying glass around the transducer until its thick enough or have a "professional" do it.
I was just curious as it looks like you just used mat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.