BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cod freezes very well, do you have a vacuum packer if not get one. You can also fill a 5 gal bucket with water put fillets in a ziplock bag with top slightly open sink bag in water till all the air is out and finish closing the bag.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cod freezes very well, do you have a vacuum packer if not get one. You can also fill a 5 gal bucket with water put fillets in a ziplock bag with top slightly open sink bag in water till all the air is out and finish closing the bag.
THE 5 GALLON BUCKET TRICK WORKS BUT THE SEAL GIVES OUT QUICKLY. BUY A FOOD SAVER. JUST MADE COD CAKES FROM AN APRIL TRIP. TASTED JUST FINE AND NO FREEZER BURN:thumbsup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Freezing Cod

Both Cod and Haddock freeze excellent and far better than tuna. I do agree that if you purchase a vacuum sealer it is well worth the money. There is nothing worse than spending money to go fishing and have it spoil. I still try not to go past three months with my fish in the freezer and absolutely prefer fresh.

It also helps to slightly freeze fillets on a cookie sheet prior to sealing. If you don't have room, that is OK also just get the air out as that is the killer.

Philly come up and fish and I will show you how to freeze them. In all honesty I think proper handling of a fish is critical in the shelf life. I believe in bleeding every fish and making sure it goes in the box with ice imediately. When filleted the fillets will be firm and fresh ready for you to take home. Also there is no reason to skin the fish as it will not hurt the freezing and the skin has a natural oil which adds flavor when baking.

My two cents worth and by the way, please don't fry up with the skin on, it could be very bad.

Capt Dave

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Yes, cod freezes exceptionally well, As for the food saver, I just recently ate some sebass that was at the bottom of the freez, was over 1yr 3 mnths old. It still tasted very good. I mean you could tell it was old but still very eatable. I love the food saver...

·
Registered
62,423 Posts
Yes, cod freezes exceptionally well, As for the food saver, I just recently ate some sebass that was at the bottom of the freez, was over 1yr 3 mnths old. It still tasted very good. I mean you could tell it was old but still very eatable. I love the food saver...
Agree 100% !!!!!

We occasionally find a bag of fluke or sea bass that is over a year old in the freezer, and while it certainly is not as good as "caught that day", it is absolutely "fine".

Just make sure the fish is patted dry before you seal it, and make sure the seal is good, and the fish lasts a loooooooong time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Amen Joe!

One thing though, i have read to pat the fish dry and such. I never do. I don't rinse it when I clean it either though. It goes from the cutn table to the bag. I am wacky about fresh water on my saltwater fish.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I am a firm believer in a strict and structured way to freeze fish. Although I don't care to do it often, once you have had fresh its tough to change. I have learned that white meat fish freeze a lot better then darker/red meat fish (i.e.BFT).

I have also learned that if you have found a successful way to freeze BFT then
you can freeze any fish.

1. Before you even reach the barn make sure you fill a 5 gal. bucket with sea water. (The prettier the seawater the better)

2. After filleting or steaking, dip each fillet/steak into the seawater for rinsing.

3. More then likely the vacuum sealer will not be with you on the boat so when you get home grab a roll of paper towels and pat the entire fillet/steak down until it is completely dry.

4. Plastic-wrap each fillet/steak separately

5. Vacuum seal no more then two fillets/steaks per bag. If you put more then two in one bag, your vacuum sealed bag will eventually leek and fill with air. (I used ziplock bags for a short time then I saw the results of a vacuum sealer and never looked back. If you like to save your catch for a long period of time a vacuum sealer is the only way to fly!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Everybody has their own way of doing it. Ideally I prefer to bleed the fish then throw it in a cold brine until it's ready to be filleted. I keep the cleaning area very clean as I'm filleting and never let any slime or water (salt or fresh) touch the fish. Once at home I pat the fillets dry and set on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Set in the freezer for about an hour until they are semi-frozen. Only now will I pack them with the vacuum sealer. This way they seal tigher, and no water is sucked up as they are sealing which could compromise the seal.

I've tried just about every other way out there, including leaving out the pre-freezing, and IMHO this is still the only way that the fish can be kept for a long period of time and still taste nearly as fresh as the day it was caught.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Everybody has their own way of doing it. Ideally I prefer to bleed the fish then throw it in a cold brine until it's ready to be filleted. I keep the cleaning area very clean as I'm filleting and never let any slime or water (salt or fresh) touch the fish. Once at home I pat the fillets dry and set on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Set in the freezer for about an hour until they are semi-frozen. Only now will I pack them with the vacuum sealer. This way they seal tigher, and no water is sucked up as they are sealing which could compromise the seal.

I've tried just about every other way out there, including leaving out the pre-freezing, and IMHO this is still the only way that the fish can be kept for a long period of time and still taste nearly as fresh as the day it was caught.
That is the right way to do it!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,263 Posts

Right on the money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.