BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years that I have moved down to NJ, the more and more ticks I encounter. Looking at some stats, there are more tick borne illness reported each year. Being in South jersey isn't as bad as the north but check this article out in regards to how many folks contracted tick borne illness through the past several years:

https://www.nj.com/news/2018/05/lyme_disease_is_soaring_in_nj_heres_how_each_count .html

While searching for some trophy bowfins and snakeheads this spring, I have found a tick on me the other day which I have pulled out, crossing my fingers that i am okay but i have him in a jar in case they need to do some testing on it. Any how, I started researching some bug sprays and found Permethrin, which is highly toxic to not only Ticks but many other bugs. The only issue I have with it is that it have issues with bees (which are responsible for pollination) and also fish (but i don't spray it into water so I am fine). Since spraying it on clothes is not going to harm anything but things that get into contact with you, I was pretty happy with it.

Here is a video where I exposed a tick i found in my car (after a fishing trip) to Sawyer Permethrin (low dosage). Note the Cotton Swab only lightly dabbed the edge of the bottle i shook up. I did not dip the entire thing into the bottle. each swipe i put on the container with the tick, you can clearly see that it is not over saturated.

Hope everyone will be safe this season and do what you can for you and your loved ones to keep ticks away from them!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good post. Unfortunately for me I'm still recovering from a byte last spring:(
Oh no! sorry to hear that! my niece just got a bite mark and bullseye rash. we took her in and i learned interesting things about that. We wanted to ask them to take blood work to confirm but they said it won't show up until the rash is long gone. so it's best to treat it asap before you become Lyme Positive so you don't get impacted. Imagine if you get bitten in your head under your hair, gonna be hard to see the mark!

Any how, the best thing we can do is to prevent others from getting it. My in-laws didn't know much about it. it was an eye opener and they now are taking the precaution they need to protect their family.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts