BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost ready to make my decision on a 17' dlv.Anyone own one,any help would be helpfull.I had it with the reefs,old grounds,just wanting to stay in the back and just a mile or so off the beach.Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My buddy had a very similar boat and we had a great time with it in the back bays of somers point. You can pull the engine up and make use of some of the cut through instead of traveling way around. Plus you really don't have to worry about beaching her while you are fishing. Just push off and you are fine as long as your engine is up a little. My buddy had a older beat up one so he was not too worried about the bottom. I think his was the 16? Anyway, they are great tough boats but you cannot go fast when there is a chop of course.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I had two Carolina Skiffs, a 16 we used for duck hunting and fishing w/a 35 electric start tiller. The 17 was a CC with a 50. Both ran great when it was flat, but better have your raincoat if there was any wind or chop.:eek: Guess what we named them? SOAKER I & SOAKER II :D:D We still had a ball with both of them. :thumbsup: Good Luck with yours.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a 17' CSkiff but its an older one......love it in the bays and creeks......check out Carolinaskiffowner.com lots of info and quite a few locals on it......:thumbsup: took a good look at that picture and noticed the NC reg and address.

·
Registered
848 Posts
jjm7,
Waiting for a DXL17 to come in as we speak. I had a 2008 DXL16 that was totaled in the Nov. nor'easter. The 16 was a great back bay boat but moved up to the 17 because it is wider and deeper. ( better to haul the small grand kids) I will be running it with a 40 etec. tiller. The nice thing about the C-skiff is you can order options to fit your needs. I am sure you will wnjoy it.
mole

·
Registered
13,999 Posts
just made a deal on a '10 16 JVX w/ 40 etec and trailer.

all I need it for is 99% time in the back, and the rare flat day close to the beach out front.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have a 178dlv with a 90hp Merc as a second boat (main boat is 25' hydra-sports cc). I use the skiff a lot and am very happy with it. It seemed like there were just too many times I needed to be able to get around in shallow water due to low tide or wanting to go way in back. Also, sometimes I only have an hour or two to fish and its too much of a hassle to get the bigger boat ready. I leave the skiff in the water in a slip; its great because you can be on the water 60 seconds after getting to the dock. Also great on gas. Only had to fill the tank twice all last summer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.