BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 17-19 foot skiff boat to buzz the back bays with my three young sons. The Bertram just cannot be run with one adult, a 6 year old, a 4 1/2 year old, and a 3 year old on board...too much stress with little ones who don't have sea legs :D

We're looking to fish a bit, crab a bit, take them tubing, beach it and dig for clams, etc...

Essentially, I'm looking for a toy.

The two boats I've narrowed it down to are:

Carolina Skiff 1780 DLX with a 90 HP Suzuki. It is wide with a 92" beam and 25" gunnels. A very stable boat.

May Craft 1800 Skiff with a 115 HP Yamaha. It is also wide with a 90" beam. It has much better storage available and better seating layout for the boys.

==================================

Both boats are very similar in construction and both fit the criteria set for a small boat purchase.

I would like some feedback from owners of these rigs and perhaps some pros and cons for either or both.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alos, feel free to email me if you are not registered on the Barn...

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Jeff--

First of all great seeing you last nite, the kids looked excited! I think the Skiff is the boat for you. Tommy (Partnership) has a 19' Skiff and it is really great for the kids. It pulls a tube awesome and does all the other stuff you want. With the flat bottom of the skiff you can get in the really skinny water and be fine. Just my $.02 but I would go with the skiff for its all purpose type layout.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was good seeing you last night, too...with our limited time, I never got a chance to talk with anyone...we arrived at 7:15 :D :D :D

I may be back tonight or tomorrow night to make a deal...

Incidently, when you say "Skiff", I assume that you mean the Carolina Skiff?

The Carolina Skiff has a draft of 9" and the May Craft has a draft of 11"...

I'm also interested in how each handles in a chop...I hear that the Carolina Skiff can pound a bit...but I have no information on the May Craft at all!

Perhaps, I'll send Partnership an email...

[ 02-02-2006, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Jeff - Fazmataz ]

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Fin advisor has a skiff and its a nice backbay boat-no maintenance. Wouldnt want to be in the ocean with it. Slides in turns abit when goin fast. Something You can get use to. A little bow sneezing when load is shifted to bow. Very stable.

That being said if You might venture out front I would do with the maycraft for the less pounding. I did fish near a skiff down at the old grounds last summer so it can and is done just wouldnt want to be in it if wind kicks up.

Figure out what best suits your use 80% of time. If the backbays are as crowded as they are down by me and it will be a weekend warrior boat it will get old fast. Im always worried about people "seeing" me while in the intercoastal.

I vote the skiff-

[ 02-02-2006, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Spooled ]

·
Registered
549 Posts
My vote would be for the Maycraft over the CS. We had a Maycraft skiff in the family for years and IMHO is much better built and can stand the slop.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I'd go with the skiff. It can go anywhere in the back and is excellent for crabbing and back bay cunking and can go out front on good days. With those horses on the back she'll pull the tube around good too. My buddy has one and its low maintenance and indestuctible.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Spolled said it best. The CS does definitely pound when there is a chop. If the W is blowing the right way- it is also a VERY wet boat at times. But- usaully we are in our bathing suits and it is warm out.

As far as the ocean- I did venture out the inlet one nice day- but I'm not too sure that is the boat to be out there. It is what it is- a great back bay- family- skinny water fishing- Champagne Island- crabbing kind of a boat. I love it!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Two empty pockets:
Faz I have a 2002 which I bought in 03 17' sundance skiff I am looking to sell with a 50hp mercury
I've basically narrowed it down to two hulls...trying to simplify the decision! :D :D :D

...but the Boat Show complicated matters even more!

I'll let you know if I become interested in your boat. Right now, I'm looking into the Carolina Skiff and the May Craft...but that may soon change!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I fished a 19 foot semi v Carolina skiff for several years in the back bays and on the Delaware Bay. I ran from the Maurice River to the 60 ft. slough several times on nice days. The boat handled well and was perfect for crabbing and getting in the skinny water. The low gunnels concerned me when it got choppy so I moved up to a 22 footer. I have not fished a Maritime skiff but I will tell you the Carolina skiff was quite sea worthy for a small boat. By the was I ran a 65 HP Suzuki on the rig. If I bought one I would definitly get the semi-V.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
My uncle has a 19 Maycraft and uses it primarily in the back bays and takes it out in the Del Bay striper fishing in 2-3's, hes very happy with it although the boat has trouble getting up on plane with a 115 4-stroke Merc with 3 guys on board. Takes the chop pretty well though.. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
both are good boats faz . I have the 17ft carolina only becaus e it was a grat deal . the best part about it is the skinny water part- you can hide in those back spots when the inter coastal is crowded. easy to clean as it rains once a week and the sea gulls pick up the left over bait. with a 50 hp you can drag the kids around on tube ,skis and go crabbing and fishin. I love mine as a second boat when I dont want to run the bigger boat

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Fin- that's my theory on the skiff- so what if it gets a little dirty or smacked up a bit.....that's why I bought it!

Then again- it gets a good washing when Mikey takes her out for a ride!! LOL

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm favoring the 19 Semi V...

...and like you guys said, I want a "let the seagulls crap onr her it'll just rinse off" theroy as well...

The beauty of the ride is a non issue...that's why I'm not looking at the 17 Montauk...too nice...first crab trap that smacks the deck is going to knarl her up right quick! :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts