BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone uses a cast net around the Port Norris area. I was thinking of buying one but not really sure where to use it. I am slipped on the Maurice River, i have seen schools of bunker going by out in the bay a few times.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I am at Longreach Marina and always keep an 8' net on my boat, easy to get out and make a throw at almost any time.....You never know when the opportunity will present itself.......There are a lot of variables involved with getting your net on a school and a lot of frustration when the net comes up empty time after time, but one lucky throw can fill the net in no time.....Good Luck, Geo.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
schwepp theres a couple places to castnet bait in the river a castnet is a good thing to have

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
IF YOU NEVER USED ONE BEFORESTAY AWAY FROM ANY THING OVER 6FT.
IN MOST CASES 5FT, WILL CATCH YOU ALL THE BAIT YOU NEED AND THE SIZE IS NOT AS IMPORTENT A WELL PLACED THROW.
PRACTICE ON THE (GRASS)IN YOUR FRONT YARD. DO NOT PRATICE ON HARD SURFACE LIKE ASFAULT OR CONCRET IT WILL KILL THE NET.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If anyone is interested in how to load an throw a big net, check this out. After watching mates in Islamorada, this is the way they do it.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
This is the easiest way to throw, and a great free video from Calusa on how to do it.... ignore the "buy video" stuff and just click on Part #3, How to throw the net...

Calusa

I HATE to pay for bait.... a castnet is a fun thing to learn and will save you a bundle for the other things yoou absolutly have to buy... like that new Lamigalss???

[ 01-30-2006, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: fmTuna ]

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If your after small baits, like peanut bunker etc...get yourself a 6' net...go to the Calusa site listed above and watch the video....then take the net over to a park or some other grassy area and practice throwing it...as long as it lands in a near circle you will get those bunker that your after...takes a little practice but the results are worth it... :D :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Use all the advise above but be sure to pratice with it on lawn first. This is the most important part. So many guys get a net, run out to the nearest dock and start throwing. they make big splashes, snag the dock or their wrist watch and have a ton of other problems. Most get frustrated and never cast the net again. Gain proficenciy before ever casting on the water and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
If those easy cast nets are the ones with the metal ring in them...they are pretty easy to learn to throw. The only issue I found with them is when throwing off off docks with pilings you need a decent amount of space to swing it out.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
An old man on the beach taught me then my dad taught me then I figured a bit better way.

It is this easy no rings, and don't dare put that net in your mouth thats gross.

1 Take the net and lift staight up and down.

2 Grab the net about 6 inches to a foot below the horn( that small ring that with the lines running through it.)

3 with your other hand grab the middle of the net and make a loop with the upper part and hold the loop and net below the horn in the same hand (dominant hand)

4 with the other hand grab a lead and pull it over your other hand so the net is inside out.

5 reach down and grab the next weight at the very bottom of the net and hold that up.

6 swing the net backward without twisting you waist and throw the net foward with the hand that is hold the horn and as the net leaves your other hand will move the oppisite way and letting go opening the net.

This technique has allowed me to throw a net under a dock I am standing on. You need no room to do it. I have seen alot of seminars and videos where they throw a certain way which is fine if you aren't going to spook fish and there is no wind and no obstacles. with my technique you can throw a net on your knees in a rolling skiff. good luck.

By the way the bigger the net the easier it is to throw . They open easy and create more momentum. The ideal size for our waters netting squid, peanuts, mullet is a eight footer.

[ 01-30-2006, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: insomniac ]

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
right on JC-

what's more - calusa has 8 and 10 foot nets with 1 and a half pounds of lead per foot. many other nets offer 1 pound per and i have seen 1.25 per. Fitec offers nets at 1.5 pound of lead per foot but nmot in 1 inch mesh with 8 or 10 foot radius.

for netting big baits, calusa offers a 1 3/8 inch mesh with 1.5 pounds of led per foot. perfect for the bigger baits like bunker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts