BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done practicing with a fast sinking line.At 45ft.I was hitting a bucket consistantly(no wind),but I backed off 5 more feet lost alot of accuracy.I will be changing to floating line to practice for a redfish trip.Whats good distance for casting sinking and floating lines accurately with a 8wt rod. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
I'm not going there. However if you get into sight-fishing for the reds 45ft might not be enough. Notice I did say "might". I understand that there are some knowledgable casters willing to help before & after the clubs' meeting, which I think might be tomorrow, Tues., night. I am one who thinks distance is usually overated. Good luck. Ron

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I am with you Ron, when fishing from boat distance isn't as important unless clearwater sight fishing like in Fla. Our meeting isn't till the 17th. for possible casting. Distance more important for the surf and land fishing. I am sure there will be some help on this one.

Ron, no fishing this morning? You let a little thing like big bolts of lightning scare you off the water? We had a real good one down here.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Distance is like money: More is always better, but you probably have enough.
Practice, learn GOOD habits, forget BAD habits, get help when you can. Fish often!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice Frank, I think I'm going to use that line again someday, not sure of the context but it'll fit in a lot of places:)

Wasteman

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Every now and then I come up with a good one.
but seriously, spending time learnig to throw a long line WILL catch you more fish in time.
NO DOUBT! NO SUBSTITUTE!! You NEED to cover water. Just do the best you can, but do know that a 50' cast limits your catch. It truly limits what you can do in wind...and in the salt, there is always wind!

[ 08-03-2004, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Frank Mihalic ]

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If you are going for redfish the first priority should be good sun glasses. You really need to see the fish before you cast to them. Then accuracy comes into play, sometimes the fish are spooky but usually they are very aggressive eaters. I was down in LA at a place called Grad Isle this past March. I would call your guide or freind and ask what tint your glasses should be. It is not much fun waiting for someone else to tell you where to cast all day. Bill

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My guide called me and told me about the glasses.He also told me we would be "pond fishing"for reds,something unique to that part of the country.Has anyone done this type of fishing?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I went to Texas last year and fished in what my friend called ponds. They are just that, ponds of water in the marsh. We took a skiff out with 2 kayaks on it. We would beach the skiff and then paddle around from pond to pond connected by streams of salt water through the marsh. It was awesome fishing you?ll have a blast.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
GOT BASS? Pond fishing is something you will never forget if the fishing is decent. You will be seeing fish depending on the size of the pond up to 150 yards away. It is hard to take when you see fish cruising towards you and you have to wait for them to get to you to make a cast. It's like buck fever if your a hunter. The one thing that I remember is that when the reds take your fly they will hold onto it so you don't have to set the hook quickly, but you do have to strip set the hook hard. When I went we caught reds,sheepsheads, and speckled trout. Your guide will have the right patterns like shrimp and spoon flys but make sure you have a couple of poppers. I had a 25 pound red explode on one of my suction cup poppers, and the specks love them too. Have a great trip Bill.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Sounds like the salt ponds they get up on the Cape and MV. Must be pretty neat :D The closest we get down here is salt pans or small inland bays, which are still huge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts