BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a quality rod that will cast a 1oz plug without wearing out the arm? I have been using Loomis rods for 20yrs and have no idea what other company offers an adequate tool. I tried to go with a Shimano Clarus last season in a 7ft spinning model and was not happy with it. Ended up going back to Loomis and got a GL3. All imput will be welcome. :cool:

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
St Croix premeier series PSRS70M

I feel, St Croix makes a very nice factory rod. Nice components - well put together.

I have the factory Loomis GL3 7 footer - the wraps need to be redone on the rod :(

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Bill. there are alot of Very good choices, rouge, st croix, GUSA. shakari,lamiglas, all their Better quality blanks are Very good..getting it setup to work better may help. factory rods may not work as well for you. another factor is the reel..what does your reel weigh? you can get some that weigh around 8oz..if you are using a reel that weights 14oz..thats a extra 6oz you are throwing each cast..

·
Registered
436 Posts
St. Croix makes a great rod, but don't overlook Pac Bay. I build a ton of 7' rods from both Pac Bay e-glass and graphite. They are light, durable and have plent of backbone when you need it!

Bruce

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Bill...I have to agree with these guys....St. Croix makes some nice plugging rods.

I have a few and love them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
St. Croix got my vote. Most models are very versatile and there customer service is great to. I cut the tip of a rod off in the back window of a Bronco, sent it back and they sent me a whole new rod. Cant beat that!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Bill,
Are you saying you are looking for a lighter rod then a G.Loomis ?
Not sure is there is one if you are talking about the GLX or IMX Series without giving up strength on the rod.I have been throwing a 7'IMX Popping Rod for years and its my favorite for light plugging and jigging in the backbays..

Now like mentioned above is your reel balanced to your rod. For the setup I have with a light rod I try to keep my reels at or around 12oz.and the overall combo a little +/- close to a pound.

Also the above rod that I am talking about only has a lure weight rating of 1/4-5/8oz.But is just perfect for throwing small bombers and jigs/softplastics up 1/2oz.
If you want to plug with 1oz lures you will need a lure rating of at least 2oz. And in fact this was something that I needed this year myself.I am getting a 7' Graphite Lamiglas Surf & Jetty Rod with a lure rating of 3/4-2oz. Once again my thinking here is to keep the same size rod but increase the strength so I can use larger plugs.
Now I don't know what the specs (rod weight)is on this rod but I am matching it up with a 11oz.VS100 and believe me I have held this in my hand and can imagine myself casting all day and night with it,its that balanced.....

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I see a few mfrs that I am not familiar with. I do like St. Croix, my neighbor has the Ultra Lengend Tourn model but it's the same price as a Loomis. If I end up spending that much will probably stick with the Loomis. I guess I should have asked if I can get similar quality out of a cheaper rod. I own 6 Loomis models now.
Stirkes, no I am not looking for something lighter than a Loomis just as good for less if that is poss. I also throw a 7"IMX in the same weight class, but would like to throw some of the larger baits around 1 oz. I would be matching it up with a ABU 6601C4 which is right around 11ozs. Thanks again guys for the feedback.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeh Anthony, another guy said something to me about Quantum Cabo's, do you know where there is a dist. close to me? I sure would like to hold some of these other brands, haven't had any luck just buying by the descriptions you read. Hows fishin in Brigantine?

[ 04-13-2006, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Bill Couch ]

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
oops

[ 04-14-2006, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: fmTuna ]

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Bill I like my loomis rods but i bought for my girlfriend last year a Tsunami classic rod model TSCC-701H 7' 15-25 3/4-2 OZ Rod is very light has 8 guides Great rod for like around 60 bucks they also have same in 7'6" rod

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rhino 6-6'to 8' rods are great,have caught bass,reds & blues to 38" on them with little shimano 4000 fx reels total cost $35.I have 10 of them & when they get worn I just toss them out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts