BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dose anybody know where a good place to put an eel trap? going to try something new this season insted of buying . thanks

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
i have talked to some people that have tried that and only came up with a few eels that were too large to use as bait. dont know much about it though, would be cool to do.

RyanF

·
Registered
12 Posts
TRY THE INSIDE TIDAL EDGE OF ANY TIDAL STREAMS OR RIVERS. YOU WILL KNOW IF THEY ARE AROUND BY THE WIGGLY LINES THEY LEAVE IN THE MUD. IF THE EELS ARE TOO BIG. USE A MINNOW TRAP INSTEAD. LAST SUMMER ALL WE CAUGHT IN OUR TRAP WERE EELS & VERRY FEW MINNOWS.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Yep... get a minnow trap with an extension in the middle... best bait is a hunk 'o one of those really well protected crabs that hump your feet when you wade....or throw a piece of fish in there to catch a mess o spider crabs, then stomp them... edge of a mud flat with a creek running thru it always worked good for me...

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Bidwells ditch is loaded just use a minnow trap and bunker!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't tell anyone this! Take a stocking & load it with chicken livers, tie a rope to it and place it in a slackwater or canal area. The eels bight into the stocking but can release from it, I catch them all the time like this. Good luck

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Buy some cheap HOTDOGS and put them in the microwave for a minute, cut them into little pieces then wrap the whole mess in aluminum foil poke holes in the foil and you got plenti-o-eels. The reason I wrap it is so you don't just have one big fat eel. Haven't bought an eel in along time.

Just remember,"you can't polish a terd"

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Depends on where you live. I catch alot on the Rancocas Creek. Even while fishing I catch them. They are perfect bait size 4-12 inches.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Originally posted by Mullica Bob:
Buy some cheap HOTDOGS and put them in the microwave for a minute, cut them into little pieces then wrap the whole mess in aluminum foil poke holes in the foil and you got plenti-o-eels. The reason I wrap it is so you don't just have one big fat eel. Haven't bought an eel in along time.

Just remember,"you can't polish a terd"
Bob just steered you right ;) add ...if I may... that night time, is the "right" time & check traps often! as they tend to leave as easily as they enter (dependent on trap). ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts