BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to target weakfish this summer in surf. What is best time (night, dawn, dusk or daytime), best location (rocks or open beach), best bait
or lure/bait combonation, best rig and best technique for catching weaks?

·
Registered
648 Posts
truthfully in the surf, more often than not they come as a by catch when fishing clams for bass... If you wanna target them your better off in the back

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
"Spring time is the right time"

In the spring is actually when the bigger ones are around. For bloods floated off the rocks of NJ are best, shedders are great too, but off the rocks be prepared for snags, floating blood is the way to go. For articial, very light tackle, with very light jigs, 1/8-1/4oz with pink plastics seem work well. A 1/4oz bucktail with a twiser worm can be good too. I made the mistake of fishing too heavy with my striper gear for weakies and I never had much success until I "lightened up". In the daytime you will get them at the jetties. Of course night too. In the nightime, once things quiet down from all the daytime traffic, there are good backbay spots in NJ where some big weakies hide. I don't even start fishing the back until after 10pm, midnight till sunrise being the best. And remember SPRING for big weaks, not summer. By the summer all that will be left are spikes. Also be prepared for some speks as well, which on a dark night can be mistaken for a weakie.;)...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Weakfishing is not what is use to be. The rocks off of the beach in South Jersey are great spots to hit during the late spring. We have always done well but it seems to be hit or miss...like anything anymore.

Whats up Greg?! Ill be down this weekend.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Prior to the last two summers, I had terrific fishing from sunset until 10:00 along the surf of LBI. Just as soon as the sun went down the weakfish and smaller blues were hitting plugs or rubber. Most of the fish would be in the 14-16" size, but I caught a number of 4-6 pounders as well. For some reason, the bait has not been along the beach during the last two summers, and I've caught no weakies the few times that I tried. I have had some really large weakies during June on plugs every year. I don't catch many, but there have been one here and one there, that were incredibly beautiful fish in the 6-8lb range. Every year is different.

·
Registered
815 Posts
For weekies fish from a jetty or a pocket next to one. Number one artificial has to be a pink finess bait followed by the rainbow trout color finess. If you want to target large weekies use live snapper blues with a fishfinder rig.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
There Is A Channel Off The Great Bay Early Season That Holds Weakies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts