BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone do it much? What do you do?

I've had a cast net for 5 yrs- still in original pkg, i need to learn to throw the damn thing & get some peanuts

Thinking of getting a minnow trap. Prolly just put some carcass in it & let it sit during the week

Can't imagine a sabiki would be of any use up here

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I have a cast net, too.
I've have tried to master the technique of throwing to no avail.
My buddies are pretty good at it and it's quite effective when my lagoon
fills with bait fish in the summer/fall.
I should practice on my lawn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a cast net to catch peanut bunker. Take a little practice. Check youtube
Make sure net is not too big starting out. Minnow traps are nice if you have a good marsh to set in. Set in funnels at high tide. Retrieve at low tide.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have a cast net also. Last time I tried to throw it the weights caught me across the bridge of my nose, been in the box since. I need to get out and learn to throw it.

·
Registered
13,392 Posts
I have a cast net, too.
I've have tried to master the technique of throwing to no avail.
My buddies are pretty good at it and it's quite effective when my lagoon
fills with bait fish in the summer/fall.
I should practice on my lawn.
Definitely practice, there are several good youtube's with slightly different approaches.

But for a smaller net for bait (4-6') it's not that bad. Throwing a 10' heavy net is a skill that I don't have.

You really want it for later in the season, IME, but bait is bait, if it's there, you should use it, if possible.

·
Registered
19,281 Posts
I tried tossing a cast net like Utube shows us, but I just don't get it.

I toss it like a frisbee, lol. I'll get a couple peanuts from time to time.

·
Registered
13,392 Posts
I will try to find the one that worked for me. Make sure you start with a small net.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Started with the net with a ring for 3yrs and have been throwing a regular, no ring net , now for the last 12. Throwing a 6ft. And tried the different techniques seen on you tube till I found the 1 that worked best for me. Just go and do it. Takes quite a few throws till you feel comfortable with it, and like said, don't start with a big net. I throw a six and am perfectly fine with that. And I only catch what I need, cause fresh is best

·
Registered
2 Posts
I enjoy the cast net, but the peanut bunker usually only cooperate in August and September without going to extreme measures. I also have a minnow trap, but frankly it can be easier just to buy them. I travel on weekends from the DC area to southern Ocean County so time is at a premium. If I am there over several days, the minnow trap is quite effective in tidal pools.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I learned to use a cast net one way from a guy on the old wooden Corson's inlet bridge in '89 and that is the way I know. I used to cast from the new bridge adding a 50ft cord, and got bunker, mullet, blues and even butterfish. From the shoreline I've caught mullet, bunker, shiners, spot and minnows. Minnows get their gills caught and take forever to get out of the mesh. Minnow traps work great. long handled fine mesh nets for grass shrimp, less work than cast netting, gets you a prime bait also. sabaki rigs work too, some people use them off the bridge to catch bay anchovies and fry 'em up. And don't forget crabs for bait, stripers will eat them and if there's any red drum around they will take 'em too, in fact that is the only way I found out there were red fish around corsons by using green crabs on a high low or top n bottom rig, just keep replacing pieces after they wash out, they find the scent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fishing the wooden bridge at corsons was great, a lost time, but there would be elbow to elbow guys there in the summer , had an old timer show me how to catch blues under a float, with spearing close to the ends. Grandparents would take me there as a kid, as it was there go to spot, good ole days.!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts