BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size hooks should I use for big catfish in the big D? Also, what bait (baits) work best? While we're at it, any locations (not specific) in NE Philly or lower Bucks. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I fish with some guys who are some river masters for the cats and have learned a ton from them...hopefully they will post some replys for you. Myself I use 4/0-6/0 Gami circles. As for bait my bigger fish have been caught all on chunked bunker, surf clam and river perch. You can also use chicken livers, shrimp, and blue fish. Lately the cats have been hitting my bloods that I'm tring to catch stripers with....exspensive catfish bait!

Not sure what you mean by big catfish big for us is legit 10-11lb fish. It has been my experience that most guys say they had a 10 lb fish don't ever weigh them and they are realy like a 6-7lb fish.

If you wanna get more info poke around at Brinkmans Bait & Tackle for some info about the river cats...just make sure you buy something after they help you...lol!

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
The biggest cats can be found in the Skuke from what i have seen online...I know you aren't asking thsi but teh biggest cats around here are Flatheads that you can ctch on live sunnies in the Skuke

·
Registered
89 Posts
Haven't seen a flat head in the river down by us yet, which is PHL area.. But we have put 15 lbers on the scale and missing 2 is way correct. Until you weigh the 4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10's you don't realize how big they are or what you really do have.. A true 10 pound cat takes 2 hands round its head, and fingers not touching top or bottom by cpl inches or so.. I learned a tremendous amount of info just by buying a good digital scale which I check on a regular basis.. here's a pic of a 10 lber

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Fishy

Your welcome man I new to the barn this season and love it. I think this is the spirit of the barn to help and have some laughs. My buddy Paul has helped me a ton along with his friends Charlie and Jimmy who all are Barners. Hell everyone of them snells for me because since Im missing two fingers it will take me 20 mins to snell one hook! (on a good day with no wind..lol) Best of luck

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Charlie

I went out at about 1:00 pm till 4:00pm today after work. It was windy as hell on my side. One Chester Trout the size of a big shinner and another 5 to 6 lber if I had to guess. I will call Paul to get your number....I wanna head out early tommorrow morning... I think. You would be proud of me I perfected the polamer knot with 8 fingers...lol

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
Circle hooks the way to go!

I agree with Missingtwo. Circle hooks are the way to go as the make it easier to release fish and it cuts down on deep hooking fish. Any true sportsman would use circle hooks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts