BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Great Bay late today. The dark clouds rolled in and lightning and thunder rolled in with it. It scared the bejesus out of me. Luckily I had a short ride back to the dock but it was not a fun ride.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Not a pretty site I'm sure. The thunder was cracking pretty good over here in Vineland so I can just imagine. Hope the fishing was good.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Glad you got in safely. Remember fishing behind Brigantine as a kid and lightning struck the water tower and scared the ____ out of us. Last place you want to be is on the water in aluminum boat :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Bright an sunny surfin all day!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Whiskers:
But did you catch any fish?? Inquiring minds want to know.
6 blues and a short fluke in about an hour. I also got boarded by the Fish and Game officers.

·
Banned
426 Posts
OOPS, hope you didn have that SHORTIE on board!! Yea, its that time of year for them to start the crack downs. All the WEBs out there. I noticed they bang the heck out of everyone early in the season, but later on you don't see too much of them. Or maybe its a weekend thing, since I work weekends, I ain on the water.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I've been there buddy. My first boat (14ft tri-hull) decided not to start out by the 139 marker years back. A big black cloud overhead with thunder and lightning all around us. We got caught in it pretty good, but I did get the boat running and got in before the worse part of the storm hit.
Most back bay fishing is fine in any conditions but the Great Bay can get pretty nasty in a hurry. Glad to see you made it back safely.
I haven't fished up that way in a while, I almost miss the sand bars and greenheads!

·
Banned
426 Posts
Last spring I had an 16 ft Aluminum boat, with a 40 horse Evinrude. Both were 1966, I took it out for a shake down up the Bass River, and the Lower Unit went. I had no forward, but did have reverse, I had to back the whole way down the Bass River to the old Oyster house where my truck was. I decided then that a 38 year old boat should be retired. At least it wasn't raining when that happened.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Just wait till your amungst heavy traffic in the intercoastal & a heavy fog rolls in in what seems like seconds. 90% of the smaller boats have no rador & the biggins are just cruseing by you wakein the bejesus out of you while you crawl away via your compass :rolleyes:

·
Banned
426 Posts
Had that happen last year heading for the inlet. I was using GPS, and crawling along, till the idiots come flying by that you couldn see, but sounded like they were right beside me. Turned around and headed back to where I could see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts