BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading there for 5 days over spring break to do some camping with friends. I plan on bringing my 7ft inshore/bay rod with me and my 11 ft surf rod since i heard its a lil sharky on the gulf coast that time of year.

Anyone fished there before? Taking an assortment of plastics, mirrolures, bombers etc with me but want any other suggestions if anyones fished in that area by boca grande pass.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks poppop! hows everything been! Gonna be home this summer Ill be sure to stop down and visit.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Sounds like you're armed appropriately. Tarpon have begun showing up in the pass....not nearly in the numbers that they will in late April but they've been seen there. If you're into sharking, consider some big hooks and mullet chunks and hang on.

It's a neat place that I'm sure you will enjoy!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Boca

Heading there for 5 days over spring break to do some camping with friends. I plan on bringing my 7ft inshore/bay rod with me and my 11 ft surf rod since i heard its a lil sharky on the gulf coast that time of year.

Anyone fished there before? Taking an assortment of plastics, mirrolures, bombers etc with me but want any other suggestions if anyones fished in that area by boca grande pass.
AK, It is real sharky, especially when you will be there, You need to bring out the big guns 14/0 reels or 12/0 reels with at least 130lb line, kayak your baits out, set you clickers, sit in your beach chair wait for the sceaming run, put on your fighting harness and hold on, Remember catch and release on the hammerheads and tiger sharks. Keep em out in the wash it is easier to release them, AK you can get my ph# from pop pop or brandon and I;ll tell ya how to rig em and bait em, On that 11ft surf stick chunks of fresh whiting should get ya hooked up to a beach run tarpon, only to spool ya or break ya off.........Have fun:cool:

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
1/4 oz jig heads and assorted tails. Lots of fish on the bay side too in the mangroves. Cayo Costa is a beautiful natural park. Lots of shark teeth. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AK, It is real sharky, especially when you will be there, You need to bring out the big guns 14/0 reels or 12/0 reels with at least 130lb line, kayak your baits out, set you clickers, sit in your beach chair wait for the sceaming run, put on your fighting harness and hold on, Remember catch and release on the hammerheads and tiger sharks. Keep em out in the wash it is easier to release them, AK you can get my ph# from pop pop or brandon and I;ll tell ya how to rig em and bait em, On that 11ft surf stick chunks of fresh whiting should get ya hooked up to a beach run tarpon, only to spool ya or break ya off.........Have fun:cool:

Oh thats not good... I only have a sargus 5000 spinning reel.... no big reels or big sticks to handle em with...

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1/4 oz jig heads and assorted tails. Lots of fish on the bay side too in the mangroves. Cayo Costa is a beautiful natural park. Lots of shark teeth. Enjoy!

Shark teeth? do tell how to find them :D

Sounds like you're armed appropriately. Tarpon have begun showing up in the pass....not nearly in the numbers that they will in late April but they've been seen there. If you're into sharking, consider some big hooks and mullet chunks and hang on.

It's a neat place that I'm sure you will enjoy!

Thanks for the advice frank. Hows the weather over there that time of year? Packing really light and only want to bring essentials with me in addition to fishing gear. Really looking forward to camping in florida, this will be a first for me.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Shark teeth? do tell how to find them :D

Thanks for the advice frank. Hows the weather over there that time of year? Packing really light and only want to bring essentials with me in addition to fishing gear. Really looking forward to camping in florida, this will be a first for me.
AK, weather's been great this year. Expect highs each day in the upper 70's and if you get a south breeze it'll hit low 80's. Overnight expect about 57 to 60 degrees. Gulf temp is around 68 right now.

About sharks teeth, just stroll along the water's edge and look for these. Concentrate on areas where pieces of shell have accumulated. Everytime I go to the beach I come home with 100 to 150 teeth.

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome!!! Ill definitely spend some time digging them up. taking the camera so Ill be making up a big photojournal of the trip for sure.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Awesome!!! Ill definitely spend some time digging them up. taking the camera so Ill be making up a big photojournal of the trip for sure.
Dont have to dig! You will see tourist with rakes trying to scoop them out of the surf. They wash up in the wash because they are relatively light. Just walk along the waters edge and look for dark black "Y", "V", and triangle shapes tumbling behind as waves receed. Typical sizes are around the size of a dime. Once you find a few, you will find you are always walking head down and looking. You can also find them up high by the edges of the grass/beach line. SW FL is loaded with them. A typical black shark tooth is several million years old!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went kayaking there last year but didn't have any fishing gear, fish all over the place, everywhere we went big fish scattering. Are you taking the boat from Bokeelia?

Im assuming thats where we're going from. Ive been doing so much spearfishing lately, I have to get my act together for rod n reel fishing next week. One of my friends going with me has a friend thats bringing a 17 ft flats boat over there so we may take that for a spin and do some exploring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts