BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how secure is that area? i could remember years ago it was a bad area.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
A very close friend from Essington has used it during duck season and has left a high end chev pu at the ramp with no problem's, I Was also from Essington and from what I know about that section of chester it's a good place to buy drugs and get your throat cut!:eek:

My friend tells me that the cops hang out there,a real +++ if so. When they first opened it I checked it out and had some hard eyes on me and the wife and decided it was not the place to be, Things change and possably it's ok now but I really like my truck and don't want to test the ins co. It would be cheaper to pay the bridge and launch there than on Racoon Cr if things are safe. Mike

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was skeptical last year as well. Since Racoon (bridgeport boat yard) is closed I used it in April. I was there at 6:00am without anyone around and parked my truck and crossed my fingers. I returned to the ramp in the afternoon with a lot of activity in the area. I had no issues. The place was jumping on a Saturday afternoon. I would not plan on using it for night fishing though. :eek:

I am planning on fishing below the CBB on Saturday and did a drive by this am. The floating docks are NOT in. They are sitting on the hard on the right on the way in. Since the ridley ramp does not open till 10:00 am:confused: on Saturday (wtf) if you don't have a season pass I will be putting in at Chester without the ramps. Hip waders and a keel guard on my boat = floating dock no problem. Not sure if there are any other options.

Who's going this Sat??

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've thought about doing the same thing at Chester and I always am fishing with someone...but not being familiar with the angle of the ramp and various tides combined with being at the whim of the river makes me nervous...the ridley situation is very disappointing,every year it seems like it gets harder and harder to get out to fish...I want to try to get out tomorrow but first i have to find worms, then see if the weather is going to cooperate then make sure the Ridley ramp is going to be open...you never know...

·
Registered
13 Posts
on 3/22 i threw a line in at the cbb flower st and had no problems. didnt catch anything either. a couple people cleaning up there cars n a few sitting in there reading. really no trouble.even went to the store a few blocks over n got good service. not every1 is bad:mad: out there, just like parts of Philly if ya ask me..... :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am going to try he Chester ramp this saturday for the first time in about ten years. From what I gather from some of the replies is it has gotten better with security. I will post how the ramp condition is and if we encounter any trouble with vandalism. Hoping to pick up some stripes with a half a flat of bloods.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, sounds like the place somewhat cleaned itself up..

BTW whats the cost to tow the trailer accross the bridge?$7.50/

·
Registered
870 Posts
Wow, thanks for the pics Steve, they have done alot of work there since I was there last. Running over broken bottles was a big problem back in the day.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Guys I am going to try and hit the river for stripers, my first time out with my boat in the river. I have a smaller boat so we'll have to see how the weather turns out. Don't want to get caught out in crappie stuff.

I am very curious to hear any reports from the guys who will be out Saturday. I am also curious, how do you find stripers when herring are not readily available? I am assuming finding current breaks, drop offs, etc.. are key. I'm excited to go, hopefully everything turns out ok weather wise.

·
Registered
944 Posts
mkoloch said:
Guys I am going to try and hit the river for stripers, my first time out with my boat in the river. I have a smaller boat so we'll have to see how the weather turns out. Don't want to get caught out in crappie stuff.

I am very curious to hear any reports from the guys who will be out Saturday. I am also curious, how do you find stripers when herring are not readily available? I am assuming finding current breaks, drop offs, etc.. are key. I'm excited to go, hopefully everything turns out ok weather wise.[/quote
Find some flats, and use bloods, fresh clams,& or combo of w/Gulp/fish bites until the herring come in. Always catch schoolies 22/26" @ this time and sometimes you get lucky.
Good luck and post up.

·
Registered
944 Posts
TEAM "KAT MEN CREW" said:
how secure is that area? i could remember years ago it was a bad area.
I asked the same ? last year and I used ramp several times w/ no problems. PD is in and out of there a lot but I still do not like leaving a $50K p/u w/trailer parked down there.
I cannot attach pics as of yet as they are to big.
Good Luck

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'll be putting in at Chester on Saturday for my maiden voyage this year. Heading south. Again there are no floating docks in yet. It seems to be the only option on the PA side if you don't want to wait till 10:00 AM @ Ridley. By 10:00 am I will be well into my bloods... That's complete BS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Slipperyeel: I noticed on your post you have a 79 whaler. I think we spoke this time last year on the water. I will also be launching at Chester around 8:00 AM and heading to the DOD area. I have a 19 ft black tracker. I'll look for you. I assume you are fishing the same area.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Chester ramp

It's not that bad,, the cops patrol the parking lot seems like every 30 minutes or so.. Not sure bout leaving out at night think its closed after sun down.. But I have launched from there 15 or 20 times last season and never had any probs...

·
Registered
493 Posts
trackerpt190

Yeah I remember talking to you as well. I am going to try to get out early and head south. I will be on your hot spot from last year:D Looking forward to the first trip of the year. See ya out there..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts