BASS BARN banner

Center console builders not making fishing boats anymore

4K views 42 replies 25 participants last post by  Captainbob 
#1 ·
Looked at all the 21 CC's. should've said that in the title...

Forward seating, barely any room for keeping fish and ice

The stern, seats in the corners, wasted space

Giant leaning posts, taking too much space - no space between seat and stern

Sometimes oversized consoles, taking to much space

Some strange lay-outs...

Their polls of customers show that people want these features. Marketing to families and wives with fishing boats... I pretty much hate these features. Oh well. Contender is laid out best of the 21's I looked at for straight out fishing.

#9 · (Edited)
I was impressed with the 23' Nauticstar center console. Anyone know anything about them? I am not familiar with the name.
I bought a new 08 1900 Nauticstar in November 2007. Its a well built boat and its was priced really well. I think (for the size) makes great use of the space. It could be layed out a little better but I won't complain because it fits my needs. For the price the fit and finish is better than I thought it would be and its held up extremely well with no surprises. I added a leaning post when I purchased that I wish was a wee bit smaller and I wish the rear live well was slightly narrower but honesty that's nitpicking in this case.

Well made, priced well and is a pleasure to own (as far as owning a boat goes :))

Kliner, I believe Pier 47 in Wildwood is a Nauticstar dealer. FWIW, I have no affiliation...I bought mine in Virginia.

#6 ·
I hate all the wasted space in the 21cc class boats. My buddy has the Polar 21 and it fishes like an 18cc with all the step ups and seats etc. My 21cc Contender is the ultimate in fishability. Tons of room huge fishbox and in deck livewell, streamlined center console and leaning post, good storage for gear and no dumb rear jumpseats. This is one of the reasons I did not get another Parker. That is wasted space that collects mold etc.

Looked at all the 21 CC's. should've said that in the title...

Forward seating, barely any room for keeping fish and ice

The stern, seats in the corners, wasted space

Giant leaning posts, taking too much space - no space between seat and stern

Sometimes oversized consoles, taking to much space

Some strange lay-outs...

Their polls of customers show that people want these features. Marketing to families and wives with fishing boats... I pretty much hate these features. Oh well. Contender is laid out best of the 21's I looked at for straight out fishing.

#8 ·
I agree but i do see a need for creature comforts but there just isnt the room in that size boat. IMO to be able to fish and seat friends and fam for cruising around the baot has to be in the 25' range. I really like world cats, it seems you get a ton of space out of the layout. A mid 20s cat boat feels like a 30' mono. I guess there is always a give and take it sucks we cant just have it all or be able to afford to have a couple different style boats.:D:D

#11 ·
That 37 Boston was over 500,000. Check out the Bluewaters, not at the show. C-Jam is now a dealer built to be pure fishing. Contenders are the closest thing. Very large cockpit and tons of fishboxes !!!!! Check them out if you are looking for a pure fishing center.

#13 ·
After countless hours on them, if you're looking at a true fishing boat under 21 ft, it's hard to beat a 21 Contender. A bit tender on the drift, but very efficient even with a two stroke. Open layout, excellent ride for its size. I've fished them up to 70 miles out.

#14 ·
Flukenewsky,

How does your 21 Contender do for fluke drifting? With a few guys does it really tilt badly to one side like some people say? Or roll terribly when their is some inlet slop bouncing around from uneven wakes and stuff?

Basspond, define "tender" if you can in the context you are talking about. Thanks

I'm considering this boat and I have not been on one in about 12 years and I just can't remember. In fact, any input is good input

#15 ·
It's a light boat with a 24.5 degree deadrise so it does rock a bit on the drift. It will lean over a bit when you put a couple guys on the rail.

It is a trade off though. That deadrise will really let you run in some rough stuff and the lighter weight helps with efficiency. With a 200 HPDI you can comfortably cruise in the 30 knot range getting 3-3.5 mpg.

We'd run to the AP or chicken canyon out of sandy hook and burn 50-60 gallons.

#40 · (Edited)
It's a light boat with a 24.5 degree deadrise so it does rock a bit on the drift. It will lean over a bit when you put a couple guys on the rail.

It is a trade off though. That deadrise will really let you run in some rough stuff and the lighter weight helps with efficiency. With a 200 HPDI you can comfortably cruise in the 30 knot range getting 3-3.5 mpg.

We'd run to the AP or chicken canyon out of sandy hook and burn 50-60 gallons.

dam thats a lot for A 21'-I have a 21 kenner w zook175, I run to the L.C. from ge and dont evan burn 40- usually 20 fishing cigar

almost left the boat show with a 23' contender, now I'm glad I didn't-no offense contenders are sweet if I's rich I'd get one-

#16 ·
Thanks for the words Basspond......That's reasonable fuel burn. And with the fours, it could be a touch better......I'm going to have to get on one and check it out. I figured it was tippy and rocky on the drift. That doesn't thrill me....since I definitely do my share of drifting. Would you say it's to the point of intolerable? My boat has a 20 degree deadrise for comparative purposes..

#19 ·
I have not fluke fished with it yet as I purchased the boat in the fall last season. I have however fished out front jigging bass several times in bad conditions and never felt safer in a boat this small. Tt has very high gunnells and lots of fishing room for 4-5 however 4 is ideal. I am not concerned about the roll or tilting on the drift, it was not noticable while bassing so I am sure flukeing will be no differant. I have done a ton of research and have owned Parkers Sailfish Jones brothers in the past. This is the best boat I have ever owned and should have bought it in the first place. Even the 21 reg was an option but it has the rear jump seats so I was turned off. I love the full transome on the Contender. I have it in Tuckerton right now if you would like to check it out. I am planning on taking the cover off by march 1st to get it ready for the spring bass run. Here are a few pics, basspond you'll know this spot for sure.

#20 ·
Yep know that ramp well ;)

As an FYI Fluke owns the 21 I spent a lot of time fishing on. We started putting more and trips offshore on it so the previous owner moved up to a 30T contender for canyon range.

That boat catches fish from the bay

to 70 miles off...

#22 ·
Your right about the marketing.. Heres how my purchase went down,...

I wanted something like the 24ft Freedom Mckee Craft with no forward seating. ALL FISHABILITY... The wife said, Well if your buying a boat it better have somewhere for me and the kids to sit.. Tried to push the bean bags but she did not go for it..

So I went with the 23 Tidewater.. While it does have forward seating, you can walk to the front of the boat without jumping on a forward seat.

And although there is a little less room then I would like between the leaning post and the transom, there is more then enough room between the the console/leaning post and the Gunnels. This makes it pretty roomy..

and for 49k for boat ,300 HP yami, trailer and hard top, that was pretty hard to beat.

#24 ·
I thought the same thing when looking at what was at the show and tend to compare the room to our 20' Onslow Bay Hull, our 20fter has more room then most of the CC's upto 25' at the show. We can easily fish 4 guys comfortably on it and 5 if we wanted to, they just don't come with anymore room then our boat. There are no big molded seats with big cushions and compartments takeing up valuable fishing room. You want a top of the line hardcore CC go look at the Onslow Bay 20 , 23T or the new 32 they are absolute fishing machines and they'll custom make the boat any way you want. Biggest issue on ordering a new one is waiting list, he's backed up with the addition of the 32, I think they have 11 of them ordered already, also some 23Ts and 20's. Awesome boats and you can find some used 20's and 23T's since guys are moveing upto the new 32. He doesn't do alot of shows since he has more orders then he can build already. but he did bring the 23T to the Somerset show last year and the guys that saw it I'm sure will agree on how nice of a fishing boat they are.

#26 ·
I know you said you are looking at 21 ft boats. I have the 22 edgewater cc. Tons of fishing room. Huge fish boxes. A very heavy boat that rides in big seas like a caddi. Unsinkable hull. Awesome seadrise. No pounding. Fit and finish that is unbelievable. Drifting in heavy seas is a pleasure. I know you will be impressed. Schedule a sea run and see yourself. The overall length is 23.5 as advertised from the factory. Heavy boat at 6000 loade with fuel. Have had other top name boats in the past and will never look back.
Good luck with any boat you decide to buy. They all catch fish.

#27 ·
It disappoints me that Regulator no longer offers the "classic" configuration on their boats. They went to the forward seating around 2005 and never looked back. After having the chance to speak with many representatives of the company they told me that market research indicated that 90% of buyers want the forward seating. My understanding is they still have the tooling to create the classic setup on older hulls, ie: 23, 26 and 32. I am glad I have a classic and if I were to get a 26 or 32 in the future I would seek another classic. The 23 and 26 are the best boats in their class.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.