BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent out the Good windless to be rebuilt. It`s a free fall job W\O chain.
Works great, until you try to hook. Kinda defeats the purpose.
Added as much chain as I could,maybe 14-18 inches.
I replaced the anchor W-17 pound danforth and replaced the 300 foot rode.Still skipping ?
25 GW 9 ft beam.
Thanks.

·
Registered
928 Posts
i got a 25 grady. no windless though have about 10ft of chain store 250' in locker another 600' on spool for deeper water. the windless won't let you add more chain

·
Registered
827 Posts
anchor chain

I had a 1995 25 Grady Sailfish. I had 3 feet of chain no problems, 300 ft of rode. I would go any less then that. Had the GW installed non - chain windless. When the anchor was up it was stored in the front anchor compartment chain and all. I think that you may need to go with a little more chain.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Reel,

I had an automatic windlass on a 23 Steigercraft and it was a nice feature except that I kept bending anchors. One problem may be that you are not letting out enough rode to get the anchor to properly set...I am guess guess here as if you have a 17# anchor, that is a pretty big one and it should be setting unless something is stopping it or the chain in getting wrapped around the anchor and fouling it some how.....you may need to drop the anchor and then power in reverse for 100' or so with it still in free fall ......I dont think I ever had any problems getting my anchor to set...

·
Banned
884 Posts
I replaced the anchor W-17 pound danforth and replaced the 300 foot rode.Still skipping ?
25 GW 9 ft beam.
Thanks.
Is it an older one that dosent accept chain? If they are rebuilding it ask if they can change the gypsy to a rope/chain type.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
25 GW 9 ft beam.
Thanks.
I have a 25ft Chris Craft with twin inboards, 9'6" beam. I too have a GOOD rope only 1/2" free fall windlass. I was having issues with the danforth type anchors hooking up. I went and purchased a Delta Fast set Plow anchor, and don't have any issues, hooks up everytime and no skipping. I am unable to have any chain due to the distance from the front of the windlass and the anchor in the GOOD davit arm.

The GOOD rope only windlass units are just that....rope only, they cannot be converted to chain. Only the Stealth and Patriot series accept chain and rope.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks guys,I`m gonna look into another anchor.
I have tried to hook up in the bay letting out 250 feet in 20 foot of water.Still skipped.Tried the old back up maneuver,I have tried to hold the line by hand and tried to set it,felt it skipping, very frustrating.I could add more chain and have it on the deck,but some one will still have to go to the bow and un hook the chain for the drop.
That`s what I`m trying to avoid...water`s to cold, and I don`t want any one on the bow.
Sweet Melissa,so your not using your windless at all ?
I have a horizon 500 on the Chaparral with 15 foot of chain and could hook anytime in anything.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Chain

Reel Quick.
I had that 25 Grady White sailfish two boats ago. The windless was not a chain capable thing that came standard on that years model. Can't think of the name of it or model if my life depended on it. I only had three feet of chain because of that reason. It had a foot button control mounted next to it. Yes, I would stand on the bow and retrieve all the anchor line while feeding it into the anchor locker and then when I got to the chain just pull the rest over and place it into that front Grady anchor locker. Yea It is a little scary and dangerous.

My current windlass is chain and rope capable. They must have one like that for your size craft. Snoop around. I think that your anchor is not holding because you don't have enough chain. Current boat over 40 feet and I have over 20 feet.

Good luck I will look around and ask some questions on your behalf.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
25 GW 9 ft beam.
Thanks.
I would try a plow type anchor.If you can borrow one or test one out first that would me great .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.