Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Associated Press • April 14, 2008
Only shorebirds will be allowed to flock to Champagne Island this summer.

OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');

State officials are closing the island off Cape May County to boaters to protect the birds that nest there -- terns, piping plovers and black skimmers.

The news comes as a disappointment to boaters who relish the freedom of the sandbar. The state says the boaters -- and their dogs -- disturb the bird habitat.

State director of Fish and Wildlife David Chanda says there's a chance part of the island could be reopened -- if conditions allow it.

Otherwise, conservation officers will be writing tickets to those who try to anchor there.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
From another article:

The New Jersey chapter of the Sierra Club filed a complaint with the state last year over what the organization perceived as boater abuses on the island, President Jeff Tittel said. "With Champagne Island, you see boaters destroying a resource that belongs to the public," he said. "It became the Sunday afternoon party boat place. The state is definitely doing the right thing."
Here they go again... I guess the enviro mentality is that the only "right" the public has to a "resource" is to LOOK AT IT and not USE it!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Dogs have been prohibited for some time now... Not good enough for the bird-nerds, I suppose...

I'm beyond ticked off... We go there 3 or 4 times a summer, hardly spend much time on the sand itself... Usually just swimming around the boat and having a good time/conversation with the other boaters.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Gimme a break, that Island washes over duwing most high tides anyway, especially around the new and full moon. So unless the birds are 'nesting' undergound, the reasoning behind the closure holds no water, no pun intended.

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is ridicolous, I too only go a few times a year. Bring some family and friends, let them off to relax take some people tubing.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Good, that island is loaded with Drunks all summer. They jump in their boats racing back and forth and are a menace to the people on the water trying to have fun safely

·
Registered
77,361 Posts
Too many kids have trashed the place over the last few years. It got out of hand and this is how they are dealing with it.

I wonder what they’ll do if you pull up to the Stone Harbor side?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
jc said:
Good, that island is loaded with Drunks all summer. They jump in their boats racing back and forth and are a menace to the people on the water trying to have fun safely
Following that logic, I can think of a dozen or so establishments along the ICW that should be closed... Heck, all of Wildwood for that matter. :rolleyes:

Punish the masses for the actions of the vast minority... the NJ way.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My wife was a Life Guard at Sandy Hook - she hated those birds. She said the stupid plovers would get stuck in the ruts made by tires and they'd die.

Did you ever see the South Park episode with the annoying bird, that everyone hates, but that they save - despite it's constant efforts to kill himself?

(My wife is a big time animal lover too)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anchor IN- I like it.

Putem OnIce said:
An "Anchor-In"?
Sign me up. :D
I go a few times a year with my kids. They have a great time exploring the tidel waters. I rarely see trash, They have the area roped off that the birds are nesting. nobody i have seen ever goes near there. The only people that seem to bother them are the bird watchers with all the equipment they bring. They get closer than anyone.

I also hear that the bird watchers are going to do tours and charge money!

This is our land, don't let them take it away!

How can we fight this?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
toneil7163 said:
How can we fight this?
Get about 500 boats to anchor there. Have everyone fly blaze orange kites with streamers/pinwheels. Play loud music. Grill up some quail/pheasant. Take plenty of pictures of the bird-nerds romping on the island while everyone else stays at the waterline or at their boats.

Need a LOUD public outcry on this one.

I wonder if there was actually a study of how many "undisturbed" eggs actually survive on this sandbar that get covered at lunar tides? :confused:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
"State director of Fish and Wildlife David Chanda says there's a chance part of the island could be reopened -- if conditions allow it."

Its time for a petiton. At the very least everyone should email David Chanda and voice their opposition to the closing of Champagne Island. It looks from this quote that the decision to close the island has not been finalized.

Heres the informaton:

Division of Fish and Wildlife
Director: David Chanda
Support Staff: Debbie Zook 609-292-9410
Fax Number:609-984-1414

Mailing Address: PO Box 400
501 East State Street, 3rd Floor
Trenton, NJ 08625-0400

Administrative Support: Helen Russo-609-984-9461
General Information: 609-292-3541

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Is this really official:confused: they are closing it for sure...That sucks bigtime...whats the plan to stop them? If possible

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
Seems like every year I hear about this island closing, yet every season I see the boaters out there. I have never seen anyone near the roped off bird nesting area. Can't quite understand what the problem is.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I like it out there. It's a great place to stop for some sun on the way to Sunset Bay. People just having to much fun, that's a big no no here. I like it out there in the winter, start a little fire 12 pack, mom, and girl friend. Sit back and watch the sun set.:)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yee who didn't support your fellow beach fisherman when they started with this at Holgate are getting what you deserve.

Look for more of this type of closure from the enviro nuts that are trying to shut down hunting and fishing. Their doing it with a mis leading "Green Acres" policy and now their going to pick up the pace with this type of thing.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Even Steven said:
Gimme a break, that Island washes over duwing most high tides anyway, especially around the new and full moon. So unless the birds are 'nesting' undergound, the reasoning behind the closure holds no water, no pun intended.
I have never been there, but have freinds who go there every summer. ES, that's the first thing i thought of when i read the article this morning. I think they even mention it that it washes over soemtimes at high tide, which makes me wonder about the reasoning behind it. Its total BS, and if i was a frequent visitor of the island, i would be VERY pissed.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
There's a very small peice of dune that stays above the water line and I personally have never seen it 100% covered, but maybe Keeper Seeker or someone else has. The island has been shifting to the south as Stone Harbor pt. continues to grow, south. Even with all the shifting it appears the dune is still there, this spring...? But, with that said the very small dune that stays above the water line would't be able to hold very many nest......:( I'll take a pic next full moon, and well all take a look. Hows that sound.:)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.