BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just about had enough of all these relatively new boat manufactures coming out of the woodwork. All they're doing is buying old molds and slapping they're name on them with minor adjustments. Its crazy. If you buy an old Chevy, gut it and redo the whole thing, its still a Chevy. Just curious to think what anyone else thinks of this.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
it doesnt matter to me. if this is all you have to complain about good for you.everything has knockoffs.food clothes cars planes trains why not boats. how about your fishing reels and rods.
nothing wrong to make money. look at all the infomercials. somebody will buy it

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Show me a Penn reel with another label on it, or a Boeing with a Leer sticker, find me a Loomis rod labeled as an Ulgy Stick. I'm not talking bout knockoffs. I'm talking about these new guys takin credit for the smooth, dry ride of this new hull they have, meanwhile that hull has been out for ten years.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
YOU HAVE A POINT. NOT ARGUING THAT. BUT IF THERE IS NO PATENT ON IT WHY NOT.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True, if there isnt a patent than why not. But they're just buying old molds not trying to duplicate them. I'm all for people making money, but they're a bit misleading. There should be some kinda info about it when your purchasing a new boat. If you went to look at "new" boat A, and they were a new builder without a demo, wouldnt you want to know that that hull has been in production for years with builer B and you could sea trial it under a different name.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well not to start a debate on boat brands, but you're not seeing an 80s Bayliner mold being sold and produced under a new name. What you're seeing is proven molds being purchased and sold like the Buddy Davis hulls. If the previous boat company retired the mold why not let another company build boats with it?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Originally posted by Defiance:
Well not to start a debate on boat brands, but you're not seeing an 80s Bayliner mold being sold and produced under a new name. What you're seeing is proven molds being purchased and sold like the Buddy Davis hulls. If the previous boat company retired the mold why not let another company build boats with it?
I think it has to do with the way the company made there molds what I mean is Viking Yacht which I used to work for had diffrent hull design under the water line then others and I think they saw it as a trade secret or technique per say so they don't sell the molds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts