BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a bunch of diamond jigs online. I would like to change out the treble hooks that came with them to regular J Hooks. The trebles are attached to a split ring and then the split ring is attached to the bottom metal loop on the jig. Does anyone have experience with changing the hooks ? is it as simple as removing the treble and replacing it with the single hook ? I look at some of my other diamond jigs and see that the hook is attached with a swivel that is manufactured with a hook on it and almost welded onto the metal loop of the diamond jig. Can anyone point me in the right direction ? Attached a pic to better explain how its set up. Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
real easy,just get the tool that opens that split ring and replace with the single hook you want. Any good tackle store will have the right pliers and assortment of replacement hooks.

·
Registered
18,053 Posts
I would attach a j hook to the swivel end and tie my line direct to the wire loop on the jig body. Preferred option would be to bend open the j hook eye & bend to close on the swivel, but a split ring & using a split ring tool would work, and there would be no fear of metal fatigue, so that sy be better.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
First I would ask how big is that diamond jig weight wise and what are you trying to catch with it? Everyone above is correct about the split ring tool.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you are going to use these for stripers and blues, remove splitring and treble hook and get some Gamakatsu Siwash hooks and put one on the swivel. They have an open eye that you can then close with pliers. Also you can get some colored tube tail open eye hooks from Terminal Tackle and make some up for when the sand eels are around. If these are for tuna, just use a stronger assist hook.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. Dunk, the jig shown is a 007 I use them for cocktail blues. The other jigs I purchased which are the same set up are A27's (blues & bass) I purchased the tube tails with hooks and was able to crimp those down onto a swivel. But I would also like to do some of the diamond jigs without the tails.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
What are you looking to replace it with A tail or single hook? If a single hook I would suggest a Vmc siwash hook with an open eye I Like size 6/0 to 5/0 dependind on the size of the jig. I would suggest using a split ring with whatever you do. The Vnc hook just clip on you close then with a good pair of pliers. I will be at the flea market at Brant beach this weekend and will help you match then up.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slammer, I added the tube tails no problem. I am thinking the siwash hook will be perfect on that swivel. What size Siwash hook are most people using on A007's A27's ? Are special pliers required to clamp down the hooks ?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I like 6/0 the best. Easier to unhook fish, On smaller jigs you can use 4/0 and 5/0 pliers are the channel lock Most important is one steady motion squeeze . It is very easy to do.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like 6/0 the best. Easier to unhook fish, On smaller jigs you can use 4/0 and 5/0 pliers are the channel lock Most important is one steady motion squeeze . It is very easy to do.
Thanks I appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I would attach a j hook to the swivel end and tie my line direct to the wire loop on the jig body. Preferred option would be to bend open the j hook eye & bend to close on the swivel, but a split ring & using a split ring tool would work, and there would be no fear of metal fatigue, so that sy be better.
I agree here, if you want a swivel on the top end you can tie one between your leader and main line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts