BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really:eek:

Channel 26 Cape May Free radio checks

That and the kids on the radio asking same ?

Almost makes me miss seahawk-guess I will have to delete 68 from scan

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just surprised that more people are not aware of the radiocheck feature-I do it leaving the dock when I know Im going in Ocean or Del Bay-Then a few were asking for one on channel 16

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Great FREE service provided by Sea Tow on Channel 26.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
In OC I could not trigger the auto radio check on 26 before in cape may. I installed a higher gain antenna this year and I can set it off and hear myself clear. I love that auto check, as long as I can trip it.

·
Registered
12,944 Posts
Second the Sea Tow check on 26 but I had trouble getting feedback last fall. I have to try it again as it worked great before. I reach the one in Brigantine from my dock on the Patcong in SP/EHT. Is there an automated sea tow check in cape may county?

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I only monitor channel 16.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Yes, Cape May Sea Tow also sponsor the free radio check confirmation on Ch. 26. It is available nationwide in almost every area covered by Sea Tow (even Lake Mead). The only limitation is your individual radio/antenna performance. If you don't get the automated response, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG with your radio. And yes, one radio user at a time, common radio courtesy (don't jump another user!!!).

If you don't get the automated response, time to get an antenna wattage meter to see if your radio/antenna is performing. Costs $29 & is easy to install.

Sea Tow set up this service, with approval of USCG & FCC. They pay the cost to use. DON'T ABUSE IT.

There should be no reason to use Ch. 68 for radio checks since this GREAT, FREE service is available on Ch 26.

There should be NEVER a reason to ask for a radio check on Ch. 16, the emergency channel. Setting up a "Radio Watch" with USCG is entirely a different matter (which more than likey be switched over to Ch. 22).

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I agree with 26 not always working. I have tried it with no response and then talked to a friend on 68 twice as far away. Do not assume you have a problem if you don't get a response on 26 but by all means try it first..
Second the Sea Tow check on 26 but I had trouble getting feedback last fall. I have to try it again as it worked great before. I reach the one in Brigantine from my dock on the Patcong in SP/EHT. Is there an automated sea tow check in cape may county?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have no problem with a radio check on 68 as long as it is done for checking their radio reception. I don't want to give my 20 or a fishing report or what the sea conditions are at that time. When i say back your working fine say thankyou and go back to what you were doing. As far as children on the radio, it is one thing to teach them how to use it correctly in case dad or captain has an issue but using it to entertain the kids is wrong. It cracks me up when the cursing starts and the dads are screaming their kids are listening. Turn it down or turn it off. If you reach out by boat name I'll answer every time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts