BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering which Charter Special reel would be better to go with for drum and striper fishing in the bay? I plan to spool it with 30-50 lb PowerPro:

TR1000LD 330 yds/14 lb 4.2:1
TR2000LD 400 yds/17 lb 4.2:1

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I use the 2000's. Originally because I put 40 lb mono on them, but now I put braid on. So I had to leave a lot more mono on than if I had the 1000's. I guess the 1000 is the same size other than the spool. So I guess it's just up to you. I guess it would make more sense to use the 1000's so you can save money on the line. I would probably go with the 1000's. Wow, did I ramble:D

But, I would recommend TLD 15's. Because then you can use them for other things, such as Tuna. Been using my TLD 15's chunking YFT and they work great.:cool:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I have both and like the 1000 better, the only difference is the line capacity and the weight. I did buy a TLD 15 this year that I will use for drum and stripers, I originally bought it for offshore seabassing.

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
I'd definitely go with the 50 lb. braid, it's stonger and more abrasion resistant and can get enough of the 50 on there for anything you'll fish for with that reel. Both are the same reels just the 2000 is wider for more line capacity, which you probably don't need unless going with all mono. You can get 250 yards of 50 lb. braid on the 1000 with a minimal amount of mono backing.

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
You'll wish you had the 50 when you get a 70+ lb. drum fighting against a strong current so you can crank up the drag, or a 30+ lb. striper at that. I won't forget the 40+ lb. striper I snapped off with 30 lb. braid that would have given me the Utsch's for 2 consecutive years. None of my striper reels ever saw 30 lb. braid again after that. I just don't see any advantage to 30, when 50 is only a hair thicker, yet 2/3rd's stronger and more abrasion resistant. Plus, when you consider the charter special (they aren't no Avet SX that only puts out 13 lbs drags at full) can put out 30+ lbs of drag at full, going with the 50 makes a lot more sense, especially for chuking big bass and drum.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
striper2278 said:
Ahh, what the hell do I know anyways?
Apparently when it comes to the preferrable lb. test braid to use for "Chunking Drum & Stripers in the Dbay with Shimano Charter Specials" not much :p :D :p There is no advantage to using 30, only disadvantages, especially when you can get 250+ yards of 50 on the 1000 and the reel can put out 33 lbs. of drag at full. If I'm missing something, lets hear it, rather than the wise cracks :p

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
CaptG said:
Apparently when it comes to the preferrable lb. test braid to use for "Chunking Drum & Stripers in the Dbay with Shimano Charter Specials" not much :p :D :p There is no advantage to using 30, only disadvantages, especially when you can get 250+ yards of 50 on the 1000 and the reel can put out 33 lbs. of drag at full. If I'm missing something, lets hear it, rather than the wise cracks :p
Whatever, I usually don't respond to your posts just because they are so not worth responding to...As far as wise cracks go, I'll do as I please, when I please and if you don't like it then tough! You aren't the fishing God!!! Personally I see you as a person who thinks he knows it all, or better yet a "computer fishing wizard". There is only so much a person can read on here before something has to be said...If I had to guess...alot of people feel the same way about you:p

I only gave my opinion, it wasn't yours so it wasn't right I guess?!?

P.S. The old grounds were off the hook last summer! We used 20lb braid there!:)

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
striper2278 said:
Whatever, I usually don't respond to your posts just because they are so not worth responding to...As far as wise cracks go, I'll do as I please, when I please and if you don't like it then tough! You aren't the fishing God!!! Personally I see you as a person who thinks he knows it all, or better yet a "computer fishing wizard". There is only so much a person can read on here before something has to be said...If I had to guess...alot of people feel the same way about you:p

I only gave my opinion, it wasn't yours so it wasn't right I guess?!?

P.S. The old grounds were off the hook last summer! We used 20lb braid there!:)
Is that so, well then why don't you be a big man about it rather than a "computer coward" and tell me your opinion of me to my face buddy :rolleyes: All I did was give my reason, complete with capacity and drag capabiltiy facts along with examples for going with 50, over 30. I wasn't trying to insult anyone and I really don't care what test he goes with, just trying to help. Not my fault you don't like it! Who's these lots of people anyway, folk like you and your buddy the Stain? If so, I'll take you guys not liking me as a compliment and you can go on thinking you own the ocean and this site and I'll try not to step on your toes :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Please!

PS - I guess fishing the OG's for a whole 3 years now makes you an expert :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
You guys need to relax:eek: . Take a step back and think:confused: ......You are arguing about fishing line and wanting to fight about it:eek: . Come on can't we all just get along:D :cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Guys here are the facts about all braided lines 30# test will take more than 30# of straight pull to brake it. But you need to remember 30# braid has the diamater of about 8# mono and therefore it has the abrasion resistance much closer to 8# than 30#.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
captbobjr said:
Guys here are the facts about all braided lines 30# test will take more than 30# of straight pull to brake it. But you need to remember 30# braid has the diamater of about 8# mono and therefore it has the abrasion resistance much closer to 8# than 30#.
I want 1500 yds of 60 Suffix braid. Any idea where I could find it:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the advise everyone... I have a spool of 50 lb which I think I'll end up going with.

striper2278 - What were you catching on the old grounds? flounder?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts