BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First tell me what engine you have? Then how many hours you run it each yr? What oil are you burning in her?

thanks dunk. I am running twin 2007 yamaha F250's. I get about 200hrs per season. I get about 10-15 canyon trips on this boat a season and the rest of the hrs are slowly putting around the lagoons, so its fair to say i spend more time doing 4-7 kts (trolling the deep or putting lagoons) as i do going 30 kts on my way to and from the deep. I run yamalube.

· Registered
837 Posts
very informative thread...i really want to know if there is an alternative, im in the same "boat" as floating doc, bout 250-300 season f250's, and YES that stuff is expensive as starbucks. haha good one!

also how often do you all add the treatment, every fuel up? Last year was my first with 4s, but with the 2s i was prob 4x a season. (would of done more but too $$$$!)

· Registered
31,669 Posts
I use as directed.1oz for 10 gallons evey fuel up.like i said,i am not a marine mechanic,and there are many other theorys, I am just using what has worked for me.
i dont go full throttle hardly ever,maybe entering the maurice to end the day is about all. normal is about 4000rpm and if it sloppy and a slow cruise is needed,thats what we do.

· Registered
5,605 Posts
I use as directed.1oz for 10 gallons evey fuel up.like i said,i am not a marine mechanic,and there are many other theorys, I am just using what has worked for me.
If thats whats it states then it is the same as BRP Carbon Guard. Being a 4 stroke you can use less then the 2 stroke rate. The older Fichts built carbon so the 2 stroke needed more per gallon.

Before you start to use any of the product you want to first run a tuner threw the enigne. Then you can start to use it. If it has never been done before and you have over 150 hours you want to run tuner thru twice. After that a once a year tuner is all you need along with the carbon guard.

BRP part number is 775629. Its a 12 oz bottle and will treat 96 gallons for 2 stroke use or 192 gallons for 4 stroke use. If your running a etec of di with XD100 oil then there is no need for this product.

You can purchase a 6 pack for $82.50 plus tax. Be sure to mention the bass barn for this price.

· Registered
11,263 Posts
I put 700 to 800 hours per year on a pair of F250's. I change the oil religiously at 100 hour intervals, and I add Ring Free when I change the oil, and then once again half way through. So, it ends up being about every 50 hours that I add Ring Free. On a 4 stroke, every fuel up is not necessary. Every other is more than adequate. I have a 285 gallon fuel tank, and I dump a 32oz bottle in every 50 hours. I have never used a tuner/decarb agent and an acquaintance of mine in Marathon who charters is running twin F250's on the back of a 33' World Cat and he is at 4500 hours without EVER using Ring Free OR doing a decarb. Engines still run great.

If you do a lot of slow trolling or idling around the harbor, keep a diet of Ring Free through her with every other tank.

· Registered
5,605 Posts
If carbon is present and you add carbon guard or ring free it can loosen the hard carbon up and it will break off in a hard chunk that will float around in the cylinder. This is not good.

By using the enigne tuner once a year it will do away with the light carbon and really soften up the hard carbon. Then as it comes off its in a gew and not a small hard chunk.

· Registered
31,669 Posts
If carbon is present and you add carbon guard or ring free it can loosen the hard carbon up and it will break off in a hard chunk that will float around in the cylinder. This is not good.

By using the enigne tuner once a year it will do away with the light carbon and really soften up the hard carbon. Then as it comes off its in a gew and not a small hard chunk.
i think bob was talking about the dunk decarbon method with seafoam which i have never done,but have read many guys have with good results.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.