BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to save all available cash for gas to and from shore + bait. However, I just lucked into an older but working Shimano 4500 Baitrunner.:) This will be a third rod, not a primary rod. I have one other bait rod and a plugging rod.

Keeping the price tag around $50, what stick would you recommend for tossing 10-12 oz?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I don't know of anything for 50.00 unless it's used. Tica and Tsunami are around 100.00 plus for anything that will throw 10 or 12oz. Good luck.

·
Registered
648 Posts
MOST RODS in that price range wont do it effectively, the lowest you might be able to get is the tica ueha 12' xh 4-10 ounces ...but thats pushing it with twelve

·
Registered
990 Posts
Look around the internet, you can find Diawa eliminator rods 2-8 oz and ugly sticks in that price range.

Sometimes you gotta go with what you can afford, not what you want.:)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Ugly Stiks and Barefoots. Saw some Barefoots on sale for 10 bucks @ somerset, Ugkly stik around 60 generally, try Harry's A/N

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
SteveW said:
I'm trying to save all available cash for gas to and from shore + bait. However, I just lucked into an older but working Shimano 4500 Baitrunner.:) This will be a third rod, not a primary rod. I have one other bait rod and a plugging rod.

Keeping the price tag around $50, what stick would you recommend for tossing 10-12 oz?
Why do you need it to toss 10-12 oz:confused:

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
i throw that heavy during noreasters!! when i am the only bonehead out there. lol hahah

·
Registered
436 Posts
you obviously cant compare locations but I generally won't fish bait if I can hold bottom with 5 ounces.
I carry only 6 ounces and up but toss generally 8's and 10's the most with 12's occasionally on the moon and during storm.Not add few ounces of bait and you see how you are tossing a pound of weight easily.Unfortunately ,a good chunking stick like one built on 1361mh lami rod will cost you hundreds of dollars.
Affordable ,they are not.
btw...if you wonder why I wont fish with sinkers under 6...because the water is too flat.I much prefer turbulent then flat water for chunking
I know this wont help you in your quest for a $50 rod ...my point is ,its hard to find an affordable rod to this kind of fishing
If you talking clams and 3 ounces ,then yes

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sports Authority has Okuma Longitude rods for under $50. Those rods are probably available at other big stores like Dicks too. I have one myself, and it's what I use for bunker heads and such. Not the best rod, but not the worst either. You can also look at the Daiwa Eliminator series rods.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've used a Daiwa Eliminator (1 to 6oz rating)as a bait rod the last 8 years or so. It'll handle 8 and bait, but not well. You might consider one of these 2 to 8oz rated rods..

http://www.jamestackle.com/daelimsurf.htm

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all.

LoneWolf, I wound up going the "other avenues". Since I had a trip planned for next week to Kiptopeke/Cape Charles area of DelMarVa, I was rushing a bit. Couldn't do the flea markets, etc. due to lack of time. But I did put a call in to a good friend who is loaning me a bait stick for the trip. Then when I get back, I can take my time and maybe even save up a little more green first.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
RickHem said:
Sports Authority has Okuma Longitude rods for under $50. Those rods are probably available at other big stores like Dicks too. I have one myself, and it's what I use for bunker heads and such. Not the best rod, but not the worst either. You can also look at the Daiwa Eliminator series rods.
I use an Okuma for dead sticking as well, and have a Okuma Epixor 65 baitrunner reel on it w/ 40 lb braid . I cut 6 " off the butt end to make it easier for retrieving, the reel sat too far away for my 5'8" frame. I also increased my casting distance by atleast 15 yrds by doing this..The Rod is heavy, and Stiff its great for weights over 6 oz. and rough water. I paid 40 bucks for it and spent another 40 replacing some cracked guides that broke after I leaned it against my car on a windy day.

Liv 2 Fish
Forced 2 work..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts