BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crabbed friday 28th 1/2 bushel. slow ...quit around 10am. hit it againg sunday 30th.....still slow....1/2 bushel. both days all crabs monsters. big crabs just slow going.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
thanks for the report, all weekend in the back of my little mine,i've been thinking i'm missing out on a big run...,i did miss not being down there,we realy enjoy it. large catch or not... but a bushle sounds so nice,

freedom ots,

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
1/2 bushel of them jumbos is better than 2 bushels of jersey crabs :)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
my buddy wants to make a trip down at the end of the week. would you suggest a different week. we are from jersey what do we need, ramp pass- parking permit, size limit, amount per person or boat. 30 traps per boat or person ? any help is app. my jersey trip on friday was also slow but big crabs, just over 3/4 bushel, never pulled some many empty traps in my life. long day alot of moving around . thanks bb

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Half-bushel of Chester River Monsters is worth about $100 in my opinion. Best crabs on planet Earth. Hope you enjoyed 'em!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wetdream- i was out at the thickets on Sunday and i thought i heard the bump on the radio and sure enough. i don't know who you were talking to but my father in law wanted me to report the he caught 7 stripers on the same piece of bait, really. he used the heart of bunker and caught 7, they were all under 10" but fun to catch. no keepers. will try the crabbing next sunday.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YES...Rolphs. chester monsters crabs are selling for around 70-80$ per dozen so a 1/2 bushel makes it worth it after counting gas&ramp. But its slow going right now. some boats came in with less than a half doz. some had none. watching others crab you can see a lot of things they're doing wrong.

Brown bob. check here for rules ect. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/crab/2004recreationalcrabsummary.html

the river also has a lot of stripers busting bait in the shallows early in the morning. lotsa fun on topwater plugs.

if we ever dry out down here and the freshwater stops dumping into the rivers the crabbing should pick up. Had another storm come through yesterday afternoon that pour quite a bit more. Very few jelly fish in the river and if you taste it its allmost all fresh hence the slow crabbing.

got a few people lined up to go with me but I'm pushing em back till it gets better. Don't want to dissapoint em. got plenty of crabbing left in the year. best time is october...real pretty out on that river in the fall. clear crisp air...leaves changing color....and big black bottomed jumbos!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
thanks for the rules, boy they have alot of rules. have to see if he wants to hold off on the trip for awhile. bb

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no crabs up north. fresh water. Its gotta drain for a while yet. there will be...just later.

ate 2 crabs last night and filled me up. took a six pack to wash em down:D of course the remote control taste like old bay now......

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Just reading your post's,makes me want to hook up the boat.Problem, I have no idea where to start. Is Chester better then the Wye?Where is Ralph's?Where can I buy topless traps in South Jersey?.Appreciate any and all help.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
chester is closer to me. wye river doing well. most all easter shore rivers giving up nice crabs. Theyr're getting em in the bohemia now.
check out the other chester thread on here for more info

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
them Wye crabs are pretty good, and more plentiful at this moment, but there is NO BETTER CRAB IN THE WORLD than a Chester River Monster. You can get a dozen for $55 at Fords in Rock Hall. That might seem like a lot, but believe me it's worth every penny.
Wetdream you've got the deal down eh?! take some rods, get your gear in the water then go throw lures. On a good day you come home with a bushel of big black jimmies and a couple keeper stripers to boot!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts