BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy they're runnin pretty good now. Wye river doin great but crowded. We crabbed the chester sat 1 packed bushel ... a second.... half full when we called it quits, cleaned em live and into the freezer for winter eatin. In the morning almost every trap had a crab....most 7-9"ers......a few over. No throwbacks all day....and I throwback anything under 6"!!! after around 9ish they slowed and we moved the traps only to get a doz or so after a few rounds at the "new spot"...too slow for me......moved em again....and started nailin em again....called it quits around 1pm. Necks as usual in box traps.....7-12 ft deep.
pictures.... The morning sunrise, the marina and a basket full

[ 09-26-2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: WETDREAM ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Pass The OldBay ! :D
Very Nice,Thanks For The Report and Pictures,,

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
hey wetdream , nice job. what do you do to your crabs before freezing and how do you do them. do you rinse them out , before packing? i usually do a few bushels every winter and was just looking if there was a better way. brown bob

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To feeze em....fill one side of sink with very hot tap water. Dump in about a doz and let it stun em for a min or 2. pull em out and set in other side of sink. U don't want to keep em submerged too long. Rip off head/guts and gills and place upside down omn towel to drain
for about 1/2 hr. place in frezzer bags in doz lots. When ready to eat get a full pot of water and seasoning ...bring to rapid boil and place frozen crabs in . After water returns to boil give it another 5 min and pull em out. You boil em. If you steam em the meat isn't as firm. Grab cold beer and watch it snow outside while eatin jumbos and don't forget to brag about the price you pay in jan & feb. We have a tradition that whenever it snows we eat crabs that night. It's also our Christmas dinner. 4-5 bushels usually garunteez we eat em once a week till next summer when they start running again.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Beautiful! We used to catch em by the bushel trot linin in rock hall where i spent the summers, its beautiful to see them like that again great job!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
mr Rosen,didn`t know you were a crabber too?.I don`t think the bite has turned on yet and was thinking about Sat for crabs.Waiting on that Call back #.Rob.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
These pictures have inspired me!!! I stopped on the way home, picked up some bait and put the "hotel" trap in the river. Hopefully by the weekend I will be dining on some fine craps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WetDream,

First let me say Hi to everyone..been lurking for quite a while. Just could'nt resist posting on this one. I crabbed the chester too on sat. We got 29 crabs. Crabbed from 8:30am until 5:30. I might have saw ya and didn't know it, I have a blue and white bayliner..with a striper sticker on the back. We moved all over, from shallow to deep, but thats the best we could do..those crabs are long gone now..but they were tasty. Will be back out this weekend, if ya see me stop over and say hi..btw, a buddy of mine got a bushel and a half on the wye last sat...its just to crowded for me..maybe week day trip is in order.

Seebass (Greg)

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
SeeBass,
Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard............

Thanks For That Report Also....

Good Luck Again This Weekend.....

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
wetdream, so you are saying not to rinse them out after pulling shells and lungs and etc? or dont you think it makes a difference.thanks for the info. we usually eat them as it snows to. wont buy crabs they charge to much for them. brown bob

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brown bob......DO NOT rinse out after pulling the top off. The only water use is a quick dip in hot water to stun em. It makes em mushy after that water freezes and thaws. Remember to place upside down on a towel and let em drain for a 1/2 hr before bagging. Any yellow stuff left in em will be boiled out when ya cook em this winter.

Sea bass......I'm hittin the chester again this sat...oct 2nd. I have a beat up blue+white fiberglass 15'er. "TEAM CRAB" on each side.......just look for the only boat out there that has lawn chairs. I launch at Rolphs around 5am and usually quit around 11-12ish. Best rounds are at first light....Last weekend had almost 1 crab in every trap for the first few rounds. Then she slowed.

Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.