BASS BARN banner

choosing a harness

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  fmTuna 
#1 ·
Looking to get a bucket harness. My first impression is to get a braid power play with the drop straps and matching belt. I know there are other options. Seeing if any of you have the power play or others and seeing what you think.

#2 ·
i have and LOVE the Black magic.
have been using it for years.
it allows the rod to seat deeper, and have a little less side to side movement.
also allows for us to build a rod with longer grips;):D

there are 3 size harness and 2 size plates. to fit your needs.

with these you wear the "strap" and can just add the belt, nad harness later.
very comfortable.
i have used the others, they are ok.

#15 ·
Reguardless of brand the harness and plate need to to adjusted to fit you.
All the above harnesses and plates including Smitty, Aftco, Braid, etc are good belts. BUT

Just like shoes and hats one size and style is not for everyone. Dont get a belt and harness because someone told you it is the best. Get a belt that works for you, and is comfortable to you. Just be sure too choose a quality product like one mentiond above.

I like the braid harness but not the plates. I use a Alutecnos plate. For me the braid plate is to narrow to use on big fish, with high drag settings, for extended periods of time. The wider Alutecnos plate allows a wider stance, spreads the presure out better, and has better padding, makeing the fight more comfortable.

#19 · (Edited)
I am now 4 years into an Aftco Maxforce setup and I could not be happier. Have wrestled many a tuna and brought a 9' Tigershark to the boat that had to be 700# if it was an ounce.

It is VERY comfortable, well padded for the angler, gives great leverage, and has a safety handle on the back of the belt for someone to hang on to your sorry aft when tangling with sea monsters.

EZ on and off... nice wide plate. You should strap one on before you make your final decision.

You know where I bought mine...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.