BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We developed compact split pliers with Texas Tackle which become very popular.
One of the objective to visit Beijing International Tackle show was to find a right regular split pliers with cutter.
There are so many choices of split ring pliers. Our preference is about 8" with a strong jaw to open 300 plus lb split rings as well as to open even for 5/0 - 6/0 Treble hooks with braid cutter. Longer than 8" is too bulky for no apparent benefit.
After checking all pliers thoroughly at the booth, we brought a few sample to test.
We got the finalist. It has stainless steel jaw part and has a big jaw to open any heavy split ring. We like rubber cover on the handle as you see on the other pliers in the picture and the pliers we choose will have the rubber handle cover thought it cost $2 extra. The 8" pliers weighs only 5 oz.

-----------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Kil

Stainless? Titanium??? Machined Aluminum?

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kil,
Do you like it better then the Texas tackle one we sell now? So far that one has worked very well.
The Texas Tackle pliers can open any split ring, but it doesn't have braid cutter.
I usually put the compact Texas Tackle pliers, split rings and barrel swivels in my pocket to fish around.

------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
453 Posts
all the chinese pliers i've seen have been inferior in the long run and end up getting dull/deforming/breaking. hopefully they have improved their metallurgy.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
all the chinese pliers i've seen have been inferior in the long run and end up getting dull/deforming/breaking. hopefully they have improved their metallurgy.
It is like rods, reels and any other tackle. There are several manufacturers and you got to buy them from reputable manufacturers. That is why we visited the show and checked everything. The reason I choose stainless steel jaws is I don't think aluminum jaws last long. I really doubt the stainless steel jaws give any problem and I haven't heard anyone who use split ring pliers with stainless steel jaws had any problem yet.

-------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
453 Posts
It is like rods, reels and any other tackle. There are several manufacturers and you got to buy them from reputable manufacturers. That is why we visited the show and checked everything. The reason I choose stainless steel jaws is I don't think aluminum jaws last long. I really doubt the stainless steel jaws give any problem and I haven't heard anyone who use split ring pliers with stainless steel jaws had any problem yet.

-------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
the steel should be hard enough but time will tell. i agree abt the aluminum.

every split ring pliers braid cutter dulls after a few trips, better to just get a pair of $4 braided line scissors and use the pliers to cut mono.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

every split ring pliers braid cutter dulls after a few trips, better to just get a pair of $4 braided line scissors and use the pliers to cut mono.
It happens to any pliers with cutter. Duel split ring pliers has the same problem.
Braid cutter is like razor blade. You got to change it when it becomes dull.
Braid cutter are for braid use, but many fishermen use it for mono cutting.

We are carrying replaceable cutter so that they can change cutter when it becomes dull.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could you let me know if you have any of these in stock. We use thousands of the heaviest split rings during the year for our dredge teasers and always looking for something better and easier.
The split ring pliers I posted might not be a good choice for your application if you use small split rings. The pliers can open up a split ring very wide and the ring can stay slightly open. Check the shape/size of jaw before buying it.

----------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought a pair a very similiar to the one in your photo Kil that were manufactured from China 2 years ago. I bought it off Ebay for $25 with very little hope. To my surprise they have held up very very well and the braid cutter lasted most of a season which is very long. I hope the ones you have are from the same manufacturer or built the same way. You will do very well with them if so. I believe Bill Sea Bear has the same ones and has had the same success.

At times you must feel like a lab rat with all this testing you do?:D Also the reels look real nice. Just watch out for the backing down of the drag preset knob after numerous times of going from free spool to strike and so on. I've played with some OEM reels and that seemed to be a constant problem with them.

If you will be around this weekend at your shop please email Kil when you will be there. I would like to stop up to show you what I talked about in my email.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a pair a very similiar to the one in your photo Kil that were manufactured from China 2 years ago. I bought it off Ebay for $25 with very little hope. To my surprise they have held up very very well and the braid cutter lasted most of a season which is very long. I hope the ones you have are from the same manufacturer or built the same way. You will do very well with them if so. I believe Bill Sea Bear has the same ones and has had the same success.

At times you must feel like a lab rat with all this testing you do?:D Also the reels look real nice. Just watch out for the backing down of the drag preset knob after numerous times of going from free spool to strike and so on. I've played with some OEM reels and that seemed to be a constant problem with them.

If you will be around this weekend at your shop please email Kil when you will be there. I would like to stop up to show you what I talked about in my email.
If I feel it is not strong enough and durable enough, I don't want to sell them.
I doubt you can get the same pliers for $25 on ebay now. The problem of China facing now is the labor cost is increasing too fast.

The reels I brought from China look nice, but I noticed the differences immediately when I compared those reels with JM PE reels.
I am going to test those reels heavily with big bluefin here and yft in Mexico.
If they are going decent job with big fish, I'll recommend those reels to other fishermen who are looking for decent reels for big tuna under $300.

I will be at the shop on Sat and Sun. Weather doesn't look good. :)

------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
182 Posts
If I feel it is not strong enough and durable enough, I don't want to sell them.
I doubt you can get the same pliers for $25 on ebay now. The problem of China facing now is the labor cost is increasing too fast.

The reels I brought from China look nice, but I noticed the differences immediately when I compared those reels with JM PE reels.
I am going to test those reels heavily with big bluefin here and yft in Mexico.
If they are going decent job with big fish, I'll recommend those reels to other fishermen who are looking for decent reels for big tuna under $300.

I will be at the shop on Sat and Sun. Weather doesn't look good. :)

------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

There is no way you would be able to get those pliers for $25 now and maybe I should of made that clear. Not only the cost of labor but the cost of metals has risen. I'm just happy I got mine when I did.

I will stop in the shop on Sunday. I look forward to seeing you.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Let me know how those pliers compare to the braid ones i have now. They werent cheap but i these new ones u are trying are compareable in cost and wind up bein way nicer i will def buy a few from u to try.

Thanks
Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts