BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
July 17th

Me and the Big Pole took a ride on the Sea Splendor with Andy L and Vanessa, over in longport, and a crew of five others that were hoping to see a day like the one we just had. Go back to the numbers but the water wasnt exactly right there. We searched for a little while but after hearing some reports out of the Wilminton we stop the search and head south. Decent day with some tuna and a ton of good eatin dolphin. No bills came out to play on this day ;( Nice day still on the water and tomorrow is another day.

July 18th.

Ahh the Canyon Runner trip. What a good feeling it is to know we only have to drive an hour north and not do anything but jump on the boat! We get to the boat and meet Capt Phil and the mates Mark and Mike. Of course we wanted to go fish those grounds of the Hudson but with no good reports from the day or day before we let Capt Phil know where we were at and of Saturdays adventures. He says no problem and off we head early and 98 miles back to look for that good blue fish holding water that we came across on Saturday and hes says we'll find that water. Just in passing I asked Mike the dwarf school teacher if we get some meat on the boat early can we do some marlin fishin...he laughs and says we'll do what ever you want! This is your guys trip and your boat...well thats refreshing to hear but i guess he had a real good point! Into the cabin we piled with a smile, and not just because Girls Gone Wild was playing on the VCR already. On this trip we had myself, Capt Frank, Karl the Bull and CapeMay Mike...who got that name when he decided to leave OC and stick his boat in CM where he actually could catch and see a flounder. After we cleared the inlet Capt Phil came down for his first meal, a cup of coffee and a pack of chokes. He told a bad joke or two and back up the bridge he climbed with his white MacGregor sneakers. These guys had their sheet together! Anyone that wants to learn something sign up now, you only have to wait until October I think to get in line and reserve a spot. Off we goand we're set to arrive at sun up and 5AM. We try to catch some sleep but that air was kickin and it was like a freezer in there. We get out there and just like Capt Phil said 98 miles away and 4:50 AM, we can already see its slick calm and the chick birds are up working already. Its gonna be a good day boys and we find that water real fast.The day started off early and perfect with a little guy tuna going into the ice coffin. A little time goes by and we see a few swirls back behind a long CR bar off the long rigger....yup MR WHITE!! The bar gets reeled in and Mark nails this white on a jet first time!! Now that was nice to watch, no messing around there!! Capt Frank brings this white in and we get the release and some real good pictures as Mike and Mark brought the fish in the boat after they leadered it. He gets put back in the water and we tie little mikes shoelaces to the cooler so he doesnt go over while he revives the fish hanging off the side of the boat. It took a good 10 minutes to bring him back but it had to be done and mike wasnt letting go till he was ok. Finally he lets go and the fish darts off back into the deep. We untie mike and bring him back in, he sort of resembled a flat line clip. After the release phil comes down for breakfast and coffee and another pack of chokes bites the dust. Once he gets back on the brige he sees a big Blue Marlin free jump up ahead and the intensity picks up on board with everyone watching the buffet out back for signs of life and terror. I ask Mark if I can see what they run for BMarlin when he gets a chance. He comes back and shows me the lure, its not long before he puts it out LOL He goes back in and brings of the Penn70 and he sneaks the lure in without Phil seeing bc he doesnt want phil yelling at him for having it and an extra rod in the spread. We drag the baits for a while until Mark and Phil spot a big railroad timber that definitely has been floating for a while out these. This thing was the worst nightmare to any boat running at night, big heavy and just above the waterline. This thing would do some major damage. Phil drags the post side over it, we get close and can see the color below and Wham!! A huge Mahi dashes through our spread and pick ups a bally islander combo., Cape May Mike brings this nice 35# in! line or two goes back in the water and for about a dozen passes we pick off a dozen decent size mahi. Mike is getting dirty and somehow Mark must be upwind and stayed clean. At this point we're busting balls like we knew these guys since we were kids but under all that these guys were showing us tricks and any questions were answered to the fullest detail. These guys were showing and teaching us **** you cant learn at the seminar and it was a great time! After the cooler is filled with enough Mahi for fresh table fare we go away and back on the troll.....Capt Phil comes down for lunch at this point...black coffee...umm tasty and back up the ladder he goes. A little time goes by and the swirls are back...same bar, same spot except at this point we're setting lines with them, grabbing poles and free spooling flat lines back. Mike, who I guess thought he could take a break at this point goes in to grab something to eat. He saw all the commotion going on out back through the window and jumps down off his step stool Adam built for him to see over the counter and reach into the sink, he comes rushing out with a piece of bread in his mouth...drops the opposite line into the mix and he nails him and nails him on feel alone! I guess thats why I am here typing and hes out fishing and on the cover of this months Big Game journal. I just want to know how they blew his picture up to make him look that big ;) We think we got a blue on, a small one but a blue! He hands the rod off to Karl the bull and the fight is on. Phil dances the boat backwards and follows this fish from left to right and you can see hes done this once or twice before! Fish comes to the boat and again Mike and Mark leader this fish for some pics and great camera shots with Karl the bull. The whole time we're though Blue until it came in close and you see the light blue pec fins lit up. He didnt like when Mark grabbed his bill at all and got him in the boat for another great picture. Capt Phil heads out of this warmer pocket and we start to troll into some colder water on the way home to hopefully pick up a few tuna. We didn't even need tuna and had all meat from the days before. We're out of there and home we sailed watching Girls Gone Wild hoping none of us would ever see our daughters on that video or anything like it. Capt Phil headed down one last time for his last cup of black joe and a pack of chokes and away we went and not a drop of blood got on his MacGregors.

Can't say enough about the boys from CR, all kidding aside they showed us a great trip, were professional and we couldn't have asked for anything more. These guys were top notch and there were no secrets on this trip that these guys didnt share to try to help us out in the future when we were back on our floating home base. Thanks for a great trip guys from the crew of the Oh Well!

Pics soon to follow bc we got some good ones!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Great read - can't stop laughing. Glad you guys had a great time and we were able to show you a thing or two. Can't wait to get you up here for some fall chunking in the Hudson!!!

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
jbones, who needs Saltwater Sportfishing when we've got your reports!!! Sounds like a good trip and can't wait to see the pics!!!!

Mary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts