BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that ground up bunker is prob. the best chum to use for striper but, has anyone ever used any other fish? Blues for example are plentiful right now has anyone had any success with chum made from bluefish?
JB

·
Registered
200 Posts
Agita, I think that ground up clam belly,s makes a better chum for stripers,it doesn,t attract as many bluefish or sharks,but Iam sure bunker also works ,I have never tried any other fish for chum.
regards, Steve

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I never chumed for stripers except the clam belly soup in the spring ....

NOW CHUNKING BUNKER IS WHERE IT AT.......
small 1 inch cube sized chunks do the trick ...
you want ta get them going down around the bottom,the chunks will go down,chum just gets takin away with the tide,and attract way to many bluefish this time of year,wich can hinder your striper fishing..IMHO !!!

I hate having a bluefish eat the bunker noggin that slid up my leader and is still attached ,and with a 40=# bass on the hook end,till the Blue bites right through it leader and all .....
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR happend more than a few times just last fall ......

[ 10-07-2005, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I learned a recent trick that seems like a sound way to do it. Take a paper bag put rocks in the bottom fill with small chunks and thick globs tie a rope on the top and send it over the bow. after about 10 to 20 minutes give a sharp tug on the rope the bag will rip at the rock line and your chunks will be dead bottom. This will help keep the bluefish from running into your chunk line and put your chunkin where you want it close to the boat.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
agita, i save everything form every trip fluke, seabass, bluefish, ect., carcasses and grind them up for chum. extra killies go in too. old or freezer burned bait get ground up also. your not only attracting stripers but bait fish too and that keeps the striped ones happy. mix in the above w/ a nice slick of bunker or bellies and you'll be happy. get to an inlet or dock near you right now, there's lots of peanuts to be had. 2 throw of the cast net got me 1/2 a 5gal bucket of bunker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i stopped chumming 3 years ago and use only 1" / 2" bunker chunks, i catch more stripers and less blue fish now then i ever did chumming. spend your money on extra bunker for chunking instead of chum.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone! sounds like good advice. can anyone tell me where I may be able to toss a throw net for bunker from a bank near fortescue?
JB

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Chum and they will come? Not us, there are enough doggies as it :D Gosh knows I don't want more of them!!!

I have seen boats chum with clam bellies, clam in the shell, bunker chunks, bluefish, and mackeral. Experiment with what you have, the price is right!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
don't know of anything specific in that area. poke around docks if it's allowed. alot of places don't want anyone there unless your a customer. if you can find a place try at night near light. i know that in capemay they are all over the place. good luck

·
Registered
532 Posts
Chumming is one of those things that can work for or against you. I have had success with and without chum. If you're gonna make it here's my recipe: loads of Peanut Bunker - run 'em through a grinder into a 5 gal. bucket, add any old bait and carcasses you've got in your freezer (great way to get rid of all the old stuff you've been saving for that next trip), add equal amount of cooked rice, add menhaden oil and menhaden milk. Scoop the smelly mess into freezer bags, seal and freeze. When you want to use it drop one into a weighted mess chum bag and drop it over. I find the menhaden milk disperses along the bottom, while the oil drifts up. The rice and bits of bunker float about and make a great slick. On slow days I've put out the chum and had the Stripers go nuts, but I've also had the Doggies invade other times. It's one of those things you need to experiment with. Another thing to try is to bring along some peanut bunker to use for chunks instead of your large bait bunker - they work just as well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Originally posted by wish2fish:
I learned a recent trick that seems like a sound way to do it. Take a paper bag put rocks in the bottom fill with small chunks and thick globs tie a rope on the top and send it over the bow. after about 10 to 20 minutes give a sharp tug on the rope the bag will rip at the rock line and your chunks will be dead bottom. This will help keep the bluefish from running into your chunk line and put your chunkin where you want it close to the boat.
Good tip wish2fish - I'm going to give a try this year ;)

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
peanut bunker does not work just as well for chunking stripers in the bay,as adult bunker does!!
they do not sink fast enough period !!They do ok in shallow water on slowwwww tidal periods ...thats about it,they are better for back bay ,sod banks and around the rocks as bait...

why just keep scooping up loads and loads of pb's to waste them ? Just because you can ?

Lets not forget the Pb/s are our future bunker stock,Ive just seen so much peanut bunker wasted over the past few years its really startin ta bother me .....

Yes thay are easy to cast net,you can load up bucket fulls ...But they should'nt be wasted ...

Take what your gonna use and leave it at that ..

sorry to rant and Rave,and this is nothing personal to anyone on the board,But lets face it you keep taking loads of Baby bunker by the cooler full,and buckets full,It will catch up to all of us eventually !!!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Didnt mean to stir things up, my question was more of a will stripers eat bluefish ground up quesstion. I know that the natural fall forage is bunker so thats prob. best to mimic what they are looking for. Blue fish are oily buggers and have a lot of scent in them (thus attracting every thing in the bay) Stripers seem smarter than that. I like the theory that other bait fish will come and then so will the stripers! I will post with my findings I plan to do a lot of experimenting because buying fresh bunker in the fall at 1.50 a piece only to be ground up into chum is BS.
JB

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Not stiring things up,and sorry ! thats why i started a new post on the peanut bunker Thang ...

didnt want to hijack your thread ..so anyone wanna respond to what i said about the peanut bunker please respond in my post in the striper forum !!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
VDawg, I put a response in your other thread. The Peanuts I use to make the chum are those that I save from prior trips. I do not target them just to make the chum, I just hate to waste anything. I catch what I feel I need for a days trip, what I don't use I freeze up for later use - rather than dump them overboard. And just so it's clear, my catch record is quite good, and I stand by what I've stated earlier. Peanuts work well as chum and chunks. Maybe you just don't have the technique down?

[ 10-08-2005, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: FizzEd ]

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I think i have a technique for chunking down pretty well ! i have been know for holding tuna in broad daylight at boatside for hrs.This is a good aplication for PB's both live and fresh dead..Ever have your own school of baitfish under your boat?the one you created,toss out some live watch them swim under your boat,and the tuna will follow for hrs.taking shots at the bait under the boat,teasin them in the mean time with chunks of butters ...ahhh now thats a techneuq

also bailed stripers through 2 tides on many occasions ....But with adult bunker chunks

There are propper applications for peanut bunker.
and i dont feel grinding them up for chum is one of them .. To me that is a waste of a resorce,unless of course as you stated,they are just some here and there left over from prior trips,thats not wasting at all ....

or chunking them for stripers for that matter ether,They just dont have the oil or the scent of adult bunker ..They also do not sink fast enough IMHO .........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.