BASS BARN banner

chum question?

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  VDAWG 
I never chumed for stripers except the clam belly soup in the spring ....

NOW CHUNKING BUNKER IS WHERE IT AT.......
small 1 inch cube sized chunks do the trick ...
you want ta get them going down around the bottom,the chunks will go down,chum just gets takin away with the tide,and attract way to many bluefish this time of year,wich can hinder your striper fishing..IMHO !!!

I hate having a bluefish eat the bunker noggin that slid up my leader and is still attached ,and with a 40=# bass on the hook end,till the Blue bites right through it leader and all .....
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR happend more than a few times just last fall ......

[ 10-07-2005, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

peanut bunker does not work just as well for chunking stripers in the bay,as adult bunker does!!
they do not sink fast enough period !!They do ok in shallow water on slowwwww tidal periods ...thats about it,they are better for back bay ,sod banks and around the rocks as bait...

why just keep scooping up loads and loads of pb's to waste them ? Just because you can ?

Lets not forget the Pb/s are our future bunker stock,Ive just seen so much peanut bunker wasted over the past few years its really startin ta bother me .....

Yes thay are easy to cast net,you can load up bucket fulls ...But they should'nt be wasted ...

Take what your gonna use and leave it at that ..

sorry to rant and Rave,and this is nothing personal to anyone on the board,But lets face it you keep taking loads of Baby bunker by the cooler full,and buckets full,It will catch up to all of us eventually !!!!

Not stiring things up,and sorry ! thats why i started a new post on the peanut bunker Thang ...

didnt want to hijack your thread ..so anyone wanna respond to what i said about the peanut bunker please respond in my post in the striper forum !!!

I think i have a technique for chunking down pretty well ! i have been know for holding tuna in broad daylight at boatside for hrs.This is a good aplication for PB's both live and fresh dead..Ever have your own school of baitfish under your boat?the one you created,toss out some live watch them swim under your boat,and the tuna will follow for hrs.taking shots at the bait under the boat,teasin them in the mean time with chunks of butters ...ahhh now thats a techneuq

also bailed stripers through 2 tides on many occasions ....But with adult bunker chunks

There are propper applications for peanut bunker.
and i dont feel grinding them up for chum is one of them .. To me that is a waste of a resorce,unless of course as you stated,they are just some here and there left over from prior trips,thats not wasting at all ....

or chunking them for stripers for that matter ether,They just dont have the oil or the scent of adult bunker ..They also do not sink fast enough IMHO .........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.