BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a novice question. I am new to striper fishing. I have only been out once on my own in the Raritan. I will be going out this Saturday and will launch out of Atlantic Highlands and fish somewhere around there. If it is not so nice I will probably launch out of Keyport. Now for the question... I plan to use clams for bait, should I also use one of those frozen clam chum buckets? I would like to catch stripers but will be happy catching anything.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Seaclusion, welcome to the BassBarn! I am by no means an expert, but, I would say that if you are using clam for bait, then, yes, use chum with clam. If you are using fresh clam, chop up the pieces you are not using for bait and toss them in. I would make sure you get alot of clams. I am sure alot of other guys could and will chime in here. There are alot of seasoned and skilled fishermen on this site who are more than willing to share knowledge and advice with you. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Get a bushel and chum em up with little pieces and medium pieces. be liberal with the chumming to be sure fish are in your area. Toss em ahead of the boat and toss the shells in too. Play around, have fun. You should and will score.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's! Looks like I will be chumming a lot. Does cutting up fresh clams work better then the frozen buckets of bellies?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Carefull with the heavy chumming. If you find you are getting bluefish, you may want to back off a bit

·
Registered
232 Posts
PS As much of a pain it is to get 'em to stay on the hook, bellies (snots) work well as the bait. Bass sometimes seam to prefer the bellies!

As for the live clams, bring a ax handle/bat to smash clams, in a bucket if you like and dump em in. You could just shuck the clams for bait and chum with the crushed shells, this works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts