BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my first experience chumming with a bucket of clam bellies this weekend, and it paid off. But, I'm wondering if I chummed the best way. I cut several holes in the bucket, anchored up, and just let it dangle off the side of the boat, so it kept splashing down as the rocked the boat. Every once in a while I would shake it up to get more into the water.

I have heard that sending the bucket all the way to the bottom and shaking it every five minutes is the better way to go. I've also heard that I should just take the top off and chunk with them.

Which way is the most effective?

·
Registered
285 Posts
The best way to chum with clam bellies i think is to take that 5# bucket dump it into a replacment net and hang it over the side fully submerged and tied it to the cleat, and just let it de-thaw and you have a easy slick. dont worry about that " hand-ladling" crap to much work.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Tried just about every method I can think of with the bellies. Seems like most worked but by far the best way is what LunchMan said.

Scent will flood the area and get the stripers in the mood but the chunks will pull them in. The chunks will tumble along the bottom with the tide and make a map right to your boat. I do best by throwing a lot of juice and a few bellies every few minutes.

Juice in the tide is like smoke in the wind. It's gone quickly. Chunks sink faster and travel slower and create a more defined path to your location.

Easiest method for throwing juice and chunks is with a small bleach bottle. Cut it to form a scoop. This way you can heave the clam and juice some distance. When the tide is moving I can toss it well ahead of my boat so it is already on it's way down by the time it makes it back to the boat. You want the chunks and scent hitting the bottom as quickly as possible. You want you hook to be right around where the chunks are touching down or beyound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.