BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to continue a thread from a few days ago that was very interesting.

Last year I learned how to bucktail for flatties in a gully we found- it's about 1 foot all around it, but the gully goes down to 3-5 feet and the flounder seem to lay in there. We backtroll against the current or wind- depending on conditions and drop a 1/4 ounce buck down there with a minnow or a strip bait. The motor stays on the whole time and the boat has to be operated constantly.

Anyway- I wanted some advice on trying to anchor up current from the gully- or at the gully's "head" and chum and bring the fish to me. What is the best chum for flatties? Can you just drop that lite bucktail back in the chum slick and still fish with a strip bait or minnow?
Any other advice is appreciated. Can't wait to try it this Spring.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Partnership,we caught alot of fluke while we were anchored up chumming clam belly,s last fall in the LE inlet,so I know they will swim up the slick ,they were taking the whole surf clam baits that were intended for stripers, when the dogs didn,t beat them to it.Give it a try!
regards Steve

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
I use corn mixed with mussels and crushed clams.I have a friend who uses cat food mixed with corn and it works.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Originally posted by eelball:
that's winter flounder
I agree! I think any chum inshore is a ringing dinner bell for the doggies.

Tommy, I think you will get more stikes from presentation and lure selection than chum. I would really like to hear more opinions about this from some fluke sharpies out there.

·
Registered
52,619 Posts
LISTENING TO WHAT TOM WAS SAYING I'M GOING TO TRY SOMETHING WAY IN THE BACK IN MAY WHEN THERE IS NO DOGGIES THERE.USING BUNKER CHUM ATTACHED TO THE SOD BANK AT THE DOWNSIDE OF THE SMALL JUNCTION WHEN I USUALLY AM DRIFTING AND RUNNING THE MOTOR TO KEEP MY NOSE ON THE BANK AND THE MIDDLE OF THE BOAT IN 12' OF WATER AND DRIFT ABOUT A 1/4 MILE AND REDUE IT. ALSO ANCOR THERE FOR STRIPERS IN THE EVENING WITH THE BUNKER CHUM DOWN THE ANCOR LINE AND USING LARGE SQUID HEADS AND CLAMS.I'LL REPORT GOOD OR BAD.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
We used to anchor up in the back bay and chum for fluke, usually in Ludlam's Bay. The channel was so narrow that drifting was sometimes a problem. We used a frozen chum log and put it in one of those wire mesh pots. We also used to cast out from the boat and work the bait back to the boat slowly.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I like to fish in some small holes in narrow creeks.
If I use chum it would be bunker chum as it pulls in the shiners
I found best way to pull fluke out of spots like that is with minnow on a float,suspend the minnow about 6 " off bottom and drift into the hole
Got 2 of my biggest Fluke last year that way
A bucktail will also work if you go light and also allow to drift into the hole
Fluke will be in early this year,mid April if waether doesn't get too bad after the New Moon

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now we're getting somewhere. Biggest- let me know how you make out.

Willie- maybe our striper trip will turn into a chumming flounder trip. LOL

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Know a guy out of Money Island that anchors and chums for summer flounder in the bay using a mixture of cat food, corn fish scraps etc. and does pretty well. He says it takes a while for the flounder to turn on but when they do the action is pretty consistent. I would think the same approach would work in the back.

I like Bucktail Willie's idea re using a float, theres a couple areas I fish that I have problems fishing effectively do to very narrow crick and fighting the wind and will give it a try this year and let you know how it works

·
Registered
52,619 Posts
THREE GUYS THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND THE BLOCK A FEW TIMES AND YOU SHOULD READ THERE EVERY POST ARE BUCKTAIL WILLIE--CAPE MAY RAY-- AND THE OLD MAN AT NO PHONES BAIT AND TACKLE--THESE 3 KNOW WHATS GOING ON.

·
Registered
924 Posts
we would save all of the shedder's legs...the thin parts, with no meat on them. toss 'em over ...pretty light stuff...so the slacker the tide the better...the shallower the better...the weakies would continue to hit the shedder, but we noticed that the legs brought the flounder around...go figure...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Easy way to chum:

I have had success chumming with bunker. I would cut the bunker into two or three big chunks. Cut up a few bunker like this.

Put them on wieghted crab lines and let 3 or 4 chunks go to the bottom. I would also tie a piece on each side of my boat but i would suspend these.

To add more chum (At the start), I would cut up some smaller pieces(About 1 inch each) and periodically toss a few pieces in.

You will find lots of minnows getting into the slick. You can catch lots of crabs too. Cut some of them for bait and chum too!.

I would fish with a pink finesse into the slick. The flounder will follow the lure right up to the surface or the side of the boat before hitting.

·
Registered
16,127 Posts
Tom, Willie is dead on! If you don't want to constanty drift back over the hole, anchor up and drift a 1/4 oz. white or green fluke dart suspended from a bobber set to the depth near the bottom. Tipped w/ a minnow is best but strips & combos work too. Scott's has em, you see good ones around, ones w/ 2/0 or 3/0 hooks. This is one of the deadliest way's to catch back water fluke, the ripple of the water on the bobber gives the bait it own action. Anchoring might work if you can let if drift over the hole, then keep popping it back up to the hole, keeping the bait over it and then letting it drift back. Jig the heck out of it, let it sit, cast it where ever, let it drift for 100 yards, etc.. Chumming may work too, let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Tommy we did that once and it worked so we stopped doing it.Well anyway I had a left over 5 gallon bucket of bunker chum from the prior season(sharkin chum) It was nasty as it was freeser burnt and thamwed and frozen a few times.any how me and a few of the boys went down behind avalon,anchored up at the ditch,drilled holes in the bucket dropped her down and anchored it with sash weights(this trip was thought out over a couple of beers the night before)any way we dead sticked afew rods in rod holders and in about i/2 hour we started catching fluke pretty well.the problem was that it was pre season and we couldnt keep any for the table.some of the fish were well over 4 lbs and I think we may have caught close to 20 fish with 3 guys fisshin for 2-3 hours. any way we left the fish biting cause we ran out of adult beverages and went home.May have to try it when were in season this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
We chummed in the back for blues a couple times and always drifted our bait out with no weight. I tried putting some wight on just to see and sure enough, the fluke were down there eating the leftovers. They are opportunistic to say the least. I never did chum for fluke on purpose, even though I know it brings them in. Just not my favorite way to catch em.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Down here in Delaware I have a couple of spots in Rehobeth Bay where there are holes that drop to 6-10 ft. but they are surrounded by bars with only a couple ft. of water over them. We often anchor uptide of the hole and chum with grass shrimp and have good luck with weakies and occasionally fluke.Fished in the back bay with Capt. Harve up there in Cape May a few years ago and we chummed with clam juice and bellies and had a pretty good time with small stripers. I plan on trying that down here this year.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Originally posted by Fin-Advisor:
(this trip was thought out over a couple of beers the night before)I think we may have caught close to 20 fish with 3 guys fisshin for 2-3 hours. any way we left the fish biting cause we ran out of adult beverages and went home.
That's why I love fishin!!! :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Down south a "popping rig" consisting of a float rigged to make a popping noise when tugged with a jig suspended just off the bottom works great on speck trout.Catches flounder,spanish and reds,Should work for fluke here.Available from B.P.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts