BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was out on Saturday afternoon on a sandbar behind Strathmere pulling around a sienne net with a friend trying to find some different fish for a tank that my friend runs throughout the summer with local aquatic species. Didn't get anything exciting except a ton of spearring and grass shrimp. Now back to the fishing. I've been trying all year to catch an o' so elusive weakfish, but it hasn't happened as of yet. I remember hearing stories of people chumming grass shrimp for weakies, but I don't know exactly what the method to do this would be. Anybody have any that have worked for them?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Chumming with grass shrimp is very common in Barnegat Bay and without a doubt the most effective method to consistently put large numbers of fish in the boat. I ran two trips this weekend with Saturday's trip catching about 60 weaks to 20". Sunday's trip yielded over 70 weaks to 19".

With a gallon or more of live shrimp anchor (double or bridal to minimize swing if you want) in areas where there are weaks. Throw several shrimp over every so often until the fish respond and keep a steady slick going. The amount needed is based on current, depth and how long you plan on fishing. The faster the current and deeper the water the heavier you will need to chum. You only need to put one or two shrimp on the hook at a time and enough split shot to keep the bait down. I like to fish areas without a heavy current and use a float rig. You will need to keep the bait down a few feet below the float. In deeper faster water it is best to drift back. Once fish are active in the slick you can throw small plastics, or darts that imitate shrimp. I use light tackle, 6 pound, with about 24" of 15 - 20 pound leader. Small hooks like size two bronze bait holder hooks work great. Tried using circle hooks the last few trips but the verdict is still out whether I like them or not. Last weeks Fisherman magazine had an article on shrimping.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Candy Man,
That was a very informative reply. I will be sure to give it a shot and let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
To keep shrimp alive, they must not be kept in water, unless you have it well aerated. A stagnant bucket of live shrimp will be a stagnant bucket of dead shrimp in no time, just like with eels. Most people rig up their coolers with trays and wet newspaper with ice on the bottom of the cooler, and keep the shrimp on the trays. As long as the ice doesn't touch the shrimp, but still keeps them cool, they can live for days like that.

Dead shrimp can and do work for a chum line (so don't just trash your dead shrimp), but live shrimp work better.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Check out this weeks Fisherman Mag, theres an article in it about grass shrimping and how to store them ;) Good article

·
Registered
262 Posts
Been shrimping down LBI for over 22 years. Candy Man and I do it the same way except when the water is running to fast I slow down my chum line, after I have them behind the boat, b/c when the water is running fast and the more chum you put out the further the fish move back. You may notice your not catching them after awhile because they are further back than what they were. If you get live shrimp and have a bait box that floats...make sure you don't over load b/c when the water runs fast they will roll in your box and die quicker. FTR said what to do when you don't have a live box. When slack tides occur, put bobber on about the length of your rod if your in deeper water.....about 8 - 12 feet.

Shrimp can be pretty expensive so make sure you don't waste it and like Candy Man said.....buy enough for your fishing time you want to spend out there. 6 - 8 quarts you can fish approx. 5 - 7 hours. ;)

Candy Man - Do you fish Barnegate Bay near lighthouse. Not going to say the name of the hole....but I'm sure I seen you out there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey mdub
I'll catch a weakie in my yak before you catch one in your boat with shrimp. Check out pic's on yak board string(july) of Librarian and I catching stripers and cow nosed rays on Sunday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I found the shrimping article in the fisherman mag. You know how to get a hold of me if you want it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
fish2shop said:
Candy Man - Do you fish Barnegate Bay near lighthouse. Not going to say the name of the hole....but I'm sure I seen you out there.
Fish2shop, I know where you are talking but I have not been there this year. It has been way to crowded the last few times I was in the area. Sunday morning at 7 AM there were 15 or more boats already there. I have been heading west with great success.

·
Registered
262 Posts
C Man....out west is where I fish now for the same reason over in the hole...I been killing the weakfish pretty regularly out west....descent size to.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kenwood,
Nice pics of that ray and striper. That was a keeper Librarian had right? Nice fish. Hopin to give these grass shrimp a shot on Sunday. We'll see if you get the first weakie. You guys should head out. I've been doing well down the inlet on fluke. Mostly all keepers. I'll stop over and check out that article. I have to drop something off anyway. I got Betsy the Beast to pass inspection. All it took was a little $. She's ready for fall striper season.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gordon and I are going out Saturday early AM at OC again. G wants another striper. The one he got was 28" his first was 18". all i got was rays and a shark circling the yak as I was try to release one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts