BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
I got a question - anybody ever chunk or chum with peanuts for stripers in the back? I've done it with clam bellies in past years and have had pretty good success :D . Picked up a cast net this year and now have a freezer full of peanuts. Can't wait til things heat up! Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
Sure they work, however once frozen they have a tendancy to float on top. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Originally posted by MATDKAT:
Hey Gang,
I got a question - anybody ever chunk or chum with peanuts for stripers in the back? I've done it with clam bellies in past years and have had pretty good success :D . Picked up a cast net this year and now have a freezer full of peanuts. Can't wait til things heat up! Thanks for any suggestions.
WILL YOU USE THE FROZEN AS BAIT OR BELLIES?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Live bait chumming. Take a netful and bang 'em up against the boat a little so they are dizzy and chuck 'em over the side and pick up the flyrod. Live bait chumming works.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I have tried peanuts but they never matched the clam in the back bays.

From what I see in the back the stripers don't seem to pay a lot of attention to the peanuts. While schools are swimming around the stripers seem to target the shinersinstead. I know they eat peanuts but I just don't think they are the preferred food.

They do have a tendency to float and they are so thin that they don't sink very fast. Kind of like a leaf in the wind. If you intend to chunk with them try cutting the heads off. It's the heads that seem to keep them floating.

One last thing. I agree with BEACHBASSARD about how many we take. I see all to often where people with cast nets get into a frenzy.

Even at our dock I find 5 gallon buckets in the freezers full of peanuts. We seem to relate the cast of a net with the cast of a rod. Only one cast with the net doesn't equal the cast of the rod.

There seems to be an endless supply of peanuts around our docks today but what about next year.

One morning a guy was at our dock throwing his net. Each dock has a sign saying boat owners and guests only. I left the guy throw for a few minutes but then asked him to go. He hit one boat with the weights and was leaving a mess of seaweed all over the docks.

He walked up the ramp with two five gallon buckets of peanuts. I asked what he was going to do with them. He smiled and said sell them. Then asked me if I wanted to buy any. You just knew this guy was going to end up dumping them because the market for buckets of peanuts is slim.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Asions actually EAT them in our country. They toast em in the oven & comsume like "chips" :rolleyes:
Only the iginarant load up with them & tend to learn after the first time thank God.

·
Registered
126 Posts
peanut bunker its just a type of baitfish Eugene... They get there name peanut bunker because they quite a bit smaller then the usual everyday bunker... You may see schools of them around the bays and such just never reconized what they are.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
A peanut bunker, baby bunker

I agree with Chunking. I saved a ton of peanuts for the same reason, all are true and i have not had great luck with the dead ones at all.
As for the live ones, they are good at night. I have really increased my catches by sending them down a bit. One good memory is a 22 pounder in 5 feet a water with a big peanut on a egg sinker slide of 1 ounce.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have used dead ones to chum everything from Stripers to Tuna! Having live ones to mix in works best. Albies and blues tear em up.
If you froze them they will float. You have to thaw them and then smoosh em up in your hand before you toss them. Its the air bladder that makes them float.
Another hint: if you BITE the heads off and spit it in the water it works MUCH better. Just dont swallow the brown stingy things that pop out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.