BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i m antsy like i m sure alot of your are out there for march to come, searching ebay n trying to round up materials to make my rigs for spring, last year i used 9/0 Gamas , had decent sucess with them wasnt sure what everyone else out there is using , i cant really get into circle hooks dont know bout the rest of u. Had really nice results with 50# triple fish camo leader matl much cheaper then fluro. Ive also been staggering leader lengths on diff poles. 6 inches from 38 to 52" Look forward to hearing

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Still new to this but had some success last fall with 8/0 Gamas, and also used 8/0 Mustad (long shank), which hooked a number of schoolies up to 20". I had to bend the eyes back before tieing the Snell. Used on fish-finder rigs with different length of leader and lead depending on conditions. Type of leader doesn't seem to matter in the dark water of the bay.

Above all, buy the freshest bunker you can and keep it fresh on the hook. From reading reports here, it seems like noggins produce more cows... my best was a 37". I noticed that heads that had been dunked for a while still gave off slime where as chunks were washed clean.

·
Registered
375 Posts
simple but quality

I am pretty specific on what I use. Spro barrel swivels, yozuri 40-50lb pink floro, and owner ssw 7/0 and 8/0. I tie these at 24-30 in for clamming the shallows with the 40 lb floro and the 7/0 hook, for bunker chunkun larger bass I use 30-36 in 50lb floro with 8/0 hooks, sometimes 9/0 and I mix in a few red hooks. After a limit or in the backbay while catching shorts I will use circles but am not a fan, other than a slider rig thats all I use, never a snap swivel, always tie direct from the main line to the spro or trolling weight. This what works for me, simple but quality components, last year had a good pull of keepers on st patricks day in the bay, thats only 9 weeks so start tying!!

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
For chunking bunker in the fall, I use 10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus snelled onto a 50# flouro leader anywhere from 24" to 48" long. I use the black hooks, not the nickel colored. A surgeons loop at the top of the flouro easily connects to a 90# barrell swivel palomar'd to the braid, below a sliding sinker clip.

No luck whatsoever with anything else.:confused:

I'll probably start with the same thing for spring striper and drum, unless someone tells me otherwise. Never been involved with the spring runs before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Response

Hey i been using the 9 0 octopus gamas everything went well with that in the fall so i m gonna stick with them N maybe give a 8 or a 10 a rip at some point. Has anyone really locked down the perfect leader length ??? I think i m gonna stick with that 50lb triple fish camo mono unless someone can convince me otherwise much cheaper then The fluro n honestly havnt noticed the diff with catches. Also has anyone experimented with sinkers in the bay other then banks?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
This has been discussed before but ill throw my 2 cents in... spring in D Bay, always 48" 30 lb pink floro snelled to a 5/0 to 7/0 gami. "J" hook connected to a good spro swivel that is tied to 8/30 power pro and fish finder rig...early to mid spring run fresh clam is all you need to put fish in the cooler...later spring run in the bay you can start to use "ultra" fresh bunker for the fish exiting the river that just got done bumping uglys...(thats usually about the time the bunker works and better than clam) ..experiment with chunk size and hooks to find what the fish prefer that day, smaller chunk=smaller hooks....the bite during the early spring is usually alot lighter than fall where some may use bait runner and wait for the screaming runoff that makes your heart race...for this reason I use lighter rods and they remain locked..either hold it or watch them for the most subtle bump...using that piece of snotty clam I dont wait long to set the hook..putting a clam on the hook also makes a difference too...early I will cut a huge clam in half being careful to include the stomach on both pieces of bait..most of the clams scent is in the belly..I try to put it on so it does not spin out of of control in the swift current..I am guilty of changing bait frequently because of its looks or washing out....once you catch a fish examine what you did to hook up such as how far from the boat you casted,leader,bait,weight and so on...duplicate it and in my opinion this will help you produce more fish...paying attention to detail is why some anglers put consistant numbers of fish in the box on every trip and not just one "lucky" day...another thing about spring bassing in the bay is their movement...alot of times when most hear about a bite, that school of bass has moved...watch the weather, air temps are important because as it changes the water temps change and fish will move over night...know where they wanna be and try different areas..moving around is good, trying to mark fish and fishing away from the report chasing fleet is the way to go..having a good circle of friends that are on the water alot helps greatly because with exchange of info you can try to move with the main body of fish...this is my opinion on spring bassing the D bay...hope maybe this helps someone a little this spring...

·
Registered
927 Posts
I use gami 7/0 for clam in the spring with 25-30 lb flouro. My leaders are no longer than 36" and are snelled to the hook. I use regular 50lb barrel swivel with a red bead as a stop for the fishfinder. When I switch to bunker in the spring or for the fall - its 40 lb flouro leader snelled to 9/0 - 10/0 gamis with generally the same length leader. I fish solo alot and a little shorter leader helps me net my fish.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I don't mind circles with the clam in the spring. Bait is softer that bunker and most always will get em in the side of the jaw.
I personally like fluoro because of abrasion resistance, but you can certainly get away with good mono leaders in the bay. Bay chunking is mostly about scent, not visibility:thumbsup:

Oh...all gammis for me for hooks....5/0-7/0 for the circles. 10/0 for the bunker chunks

Harder tide=shorter leader, even down to 18", especially for drum. Slower tides = longer leaders 36" or more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!!! Anybody try these Tsunami swivels?

Great tips by everyone its great to share knowledge spread the wealth plenty of cows out there for us all , any body have any sinker preferences other thank banks??

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hey guys i m antsy like i m sure alot of your are out there for march to come, searching ebay n trying to round up materials to make my rigs for spring, last year i used 9/0 Gamas , had decent sucess with them wasnt sure what everyone else out there is using , i cant really get into circle hooks dont know bout the rest of u. Had really nice results with 50# triple fish camo leader matl much cheaper then fluro. Ive also been staggering leader lengths on diff poles. 6 inches from 38 to 52" Look forward to hearing
My rigs differ depending on bait, size of bait, and time of year... but dont overthink it either. If the bite is soft I tie on longer lengths of lighter leader with a smaller hook. Some days a lighter leader is neccessary to get bit, other days they will bite anything.

Spring clam- 7/0 J hook snelled on 3ft of 50lb mono
Spring bunker 8/0 Octopus on 3ft of 50lb mono
Fall Bunker 10/0 Octupus on 3ft of 60lb mono

1 - 10 of 10 Posts