BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is gaining in popularity and it works if done right. Sold a bag to one guy who boated his first striper. He has been out for five trips and has one striper. He is still using that same bag of bellies.

I have been chunking clams for many years and there is one constant rule. Every day is different. One day the fish may already be there and the next they may not. Throw some bellies and bang, fish on. Next day throw for an hour before a hit.

If there is one mistake being made out there it's not using enough chum. Go out with the intent on using every bit of chum. Stretching a bag for multiple trips will usually mean multiple slow days. You can't throw to much. You won't over feed the stripers. You will just create a feeding frenzy with more fish in your slick.

Keep mixing water with the clams. Make and throw as much juice as possible. You want that scent flooding their senses. You want to be the clam boat. Throw juice and chunks. The stripers will eat their way to your hook.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Fred YOu are the best, My little Hermit Crabby :D :D :D

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
After years of dragging eels w/ little or no fish I changed to clamming this year. We have got over 50 fish in the last 4 or 5 trips. I usally buy 6 dozen clams and smash them and throw them overboard. Is this a good technique or is there a better way of doing this?

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
6:30AM ALL IS QUIET IN LARCHMOUNT AND THE PHONE RINGS AND ITS CAPT.NOAROO LETTING ME KNOW HE GOT LUCKEY LAST NIGHT.HIS TV WAS ON THE RIDHT CHANNEL
WHAT DID ALL YOU PERVERTS THINK I WAS GOING TO SAY.
HE SAID HE WAS OPEN AND HAD BAIT AND WAS GOING TO FILM A SHOW TODAY.HE ALSO SAID IT WAS GOOD IN THE BACK YESTERDAY.IT WAS NICE OF HIM TO CALL BUT AT 6:30 AM WHO GIVES A SH!T.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Fred turned me from an eeler to a clam chucker. It really does the trick! Don't be afraid to give em lots of bellies and even more juice.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We got fresh and frozen. Hopefully enough for the weekend.

·
Banned
495 Posts
chunking said:
It is gaining in popularity and it works if done right. Sold a bag to one guy who boated his first striper. He has been out for five trips and has one striper. He is still using that same bag of bellies.

I have been chunking clams for many years and there is one constant rule. Every day is different. One day the fish may already be there and the next they may not. Throw some bellies and bang, fish on. Next day throw for an hour before a hit.

If there is one mistake being made out there it's not using enough chum. Go out with the intent on using every bit of chum. Stretching a bag for multiple trips will usually mean multiple slow days. You can't throw to much. You won't over feed the stripers. You will just create a feeding frenzy with more fish in your slick.

Keep mixing water with the clams. Make and throw as much juice as possible. You want that scent flooding their senses. You want to be the clam boat. Throw juice and chunks. The stripers will eat their way to your hook.
This thread is 2 1/2 years old. I was using the search function. In my research it turns out, fred, aka chunking, who i am gathering is a tackle shop owner in wildwood? is an expert on clam chunking in the backbay. From his time here i am in no doubt over my head in his (and most people on here)'s knowledge. I just wanted to revive this thread since the spring season is in full effect and ask if this practice is as successful in the spring as is in the fall?

·
Banned
495 Posts
what's the best method of creating clam chum? I was thinkning of taking a few and throwing them in a food processor, and bringing them aboard in a bucket. anyone add anything extra? like kosher salt or something?

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
another insightful tip....after you shuck ur fresh clam, put the shell to use!!....smash it up into fine pieces and incorporate it with your chum...or just throw them over with some snott still intact...i prefer the fine peices method myself.

·
Banned
495 Posts
zar2754 said:
another insightful tip....after you shuck ur fresh clam, put the shell to use!!....smash it up into fine pieces and incorporate it with your chum...or just throw them over with some snott still intact...i prefer the fine peices method myself.
yep i definitly do that one already. i smash the clams up with a billie club in my hand, take the meat and keep smashing the shells, then toss in the drink.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
njwhaler said:
yep i definitly do that one already. i smash the clams up with a billie club in my hand, take the meat and keep smashing the shells, then toss in the drink.

Why keep the meat/clam? Smash them whole and dump them over. Sometimes we shuck them and dice them and then throw them over. Get the flow going and if the fish are around they will be in the slick.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.