BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started chunking for stripers in the back last spring and have had pretty good success thanks to freds fishing show, becuse I never would have tried it if I didnt see it on tv. I noticed that some days I will fish in one spot chunking away with the clam bellies for an hour and get nothing. A t this point I will pull up the anchor and try somewere else. I think an hour is enough time and sometimes I will pick a spot and catch within 10 minutes or not at all again.sometimes wonder after I leave the first spot if I would have stayed another 5 minutes if it would have turned on especially after I justed chummed or wasted 5 lbs or whatever of chum. How long do you guys chunk in one spot in the back?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I'll try a "spot" for 3 to 4 hrs....if nothing happens then I'll make a move but it seems those who wait it out in onlyt one "spot" do better than me. Chunkling takes patience. wait for the tide...give it time. I've moved more than once and wished I never did. I fish the Del bay so you may get different answers based on where you are trying.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I also like to pick 1 spot and stay there (Del Bay). I have had several occasions where I was about to get ready to move (i.e. checking out the map) when all of a sudden the bite turns on. I guess if there was a clear cut choice then they wouldn't call it fishing.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Bout the same as Wet. ALWAYS wonder the same thing Sea Hunt. If I move. Gotta wait em out usually. Ever see when they start up north, they also start down south? Don't know why, but I'd like too.Pull up your lines, and you just know that biggun is just about too your bait.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I carefully pick my spot from past action and spend the time right there. I fish behind Corson's.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
It can be so hard to pick a spot and how long to stay there. Sometimes nothing happens and you just know there are fish down there.

It's a tough call but sometimes a move will do the trick. BUT. I've also seen a boat move on only to have the spot light up a few minutes later.

I figure If nothing happens in an hour I will make a move. I will also remember that I dumped a lot of food and may come back to give the same spot a try especially after a change of the tide.

Head out with two or three good locations in mind. Give them an honest shot and make sure your lines aren't all jammed up in the same area. Put one out as far as you can using a very light weight. Have another in about half that distance and still another real close to the boat.

Time on a spot is and probably always will be the hardest call you can make.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I move mostly out of bordom more than anything, although when Im in the del. bay fishing with bunker I;ll stay put the the last two hours of the incoming tide and if I dont do anything Ill move to another spot for the slack tide and first two hours of outgoing. That is a good point fred about placing your lines in diffent spots in the creek, Ill put one line off the back and cast another one in the middle of the creek, maybe this spring I will try three lines out in diffent spots. All good stuff to think about, thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I try and look for a little rip in the water where the tide has cut away the sod bank and the water is deep, these area's support black mussel groth and hold bait. Anchor up tide of the rip and drift bait back in the area where the water is back washing,creating a swirl or ripple if stripers are in the area it's a safe bet they will be there.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Hey Bluefin: You ever try in real close to False Egg Pt? I mean 50 yds? Lot of what you say there. I have anchored early and done that. Like canyons in there.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
No but I have fished behind the barge in the mouth of the river in that deep hole along the sod!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I mean outa Straight Creek :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts