BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
From a value and quality standpoint, penn torque 200 star drag is the best deal. I just bought my third one on ebay NIB for $279. I know they may be a few ounces heavier than an avet or an accurate and they are only single speed. But I have never switched gears on a two speed reel while fighting a fish and I have never seen anyone else feel the need to do it. Like most other guys I work and can only spend a limited time fishing. Penn Torque has the most stopping power at 32 lbs of drag. For the amount of fishing I do they work fine and are a great reel for ther money.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Jigging Master PE6 has em all beat
Gear Ratio : 1 :4.0
Gross Weight : 600g
Capacity : PE6-500m
Spool dia.:64mm
Spool width:38mm
Efflcient drag : 35lbs. Max : 60lbs

I saw this real at Kil songs shop yesterday about the size of an Avet MXL, the free spool is unbelievable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jigging Master PE6 has em all beat
Gear Ratio : 1 :4.0
Gross Weight : 600g
Capacity : PE6-500m
Spool dia.:64mm
Spool width:38mm
Efflcient drag : 35lbs. Max : 60lbs

I saw this real at Kil songs shop yesterday about the size of an Avet MXL, the free spool is unbelievable.
Really? I will have to look at this reel as well.

Thanks for the replies, any other input is needed.

Thanks for the offer, but I am going to buy a NIB reel.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Something for jiggin bluefin at Massey's/Hambone and throwing out a whole mackerel or bluefish for mako.

Accurate BX2-600? How is this reel?

Shimano Torsa?

I prefer lever drag.

All input appreciated, thanks!

:D
Go with the BX-2's.... The penns are alright, but I have had non stop problems with my torque 300. It came apart on a big bluefin last year at relatively low drag... Penn took care of it, but I am still having issues with it and I lost faith in that reel.... Maybe it was lemon! It seems like an isolated case, as many other people I have talked to, had no problems thus far with them!

The accurate is smooth as silk and ultra light! I like both the Penns and accurates, but right now, Im leaning toward accurate... This ornery torque 300 has me worried.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
M2c.

I would def look at the Shimano Talica 16II I just got my first and they are all that and more.Perfect for what you want in a bait and jigging reel nice and light 26.5oz/40lbs max drag 22lbs strike with free spool/Lever drag/ 5.7:1/3.1:1 retreive/anti corrosion coating/ratcheting drag lever/430yrds of 80lb braid/silent twin prawl anti reverse.There is a movie of thse reels in action on the Shimano website take a look.

And a phenomenal warranty!:)

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I would like to here Kil's opinion on what the ultimate Jigging reel for the 150-200# bluefin would be?

Any input Kil?

I like those JM Pe-6 reels, but will they hold up to the bigger tuna we have been seeing lately?

Is there anything better than those?

Whats better Kil, The JM Pe-6 line up, or the Accurate BX-2 series?

Brian

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would like to here Kil's opinion on what the ultimate Jigging reel for the 150-200# bluefin would be?

Any input Kil?

I like those JM Pe-6 reels, but will they hold up to the bigger tuna we have been seeing lately?

Is there anything better than those?

Whats better Kil, The JM Pe-6 line up, or the Accurate BX-2 series?

Brian
I was hanging out with Kil last night looking at the PE6 reels. I got the impression that the PE6 is the probably the best jigging reel in the world. Kil showed me the pe4 which is the size of an Avet sx, and basically said he landed tuna up to 130 lbs no problem his only concern was spool capacity. The reel is obviously not made for this type of fishing but he proved it can handle the pressure. The PE6 is basically the size of an Avet MXL. Its a truly amazing reel, my only concern is service and warranty since there manufactured in Taiwan. However Kil assured me he will has some one who is capable of servicing the reel. I dont think tuna in the 200lbs range is an issue with this reel.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
We have an Accurate bx2 500. And another one is on order, along with a twinspin 30.... They are sweet reels. Just looking expand my collection and offer the finest equipment out there for our clients! The accurates are siiiiilllllky smooooth.... I love them :)

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
I am in Atlantic City now for jigging/popping sessions of Canyon Runnner seminars on Saturday.
When JM introduced JM PE reels, I told them I would carry them after I tested them. I got a few PE4 reels by postponing big orders and I asked a reel expert to check the inside of the reel thorougly because I know nothing about inside parts and mechanizm of a reel.
Meanwhile I tested the reel for bluefin out of Cape May as I believe the best way to test a reel is to test them to the limit. The PE4 reel is very tiny Avet SX size reel. After I landed 90 lbs, 120 lbs and 150 lbs bluefin and after I got a favorable report from the reel expert, I placed a big order, but I couldn't get the reels I wanted as the PE reels were out stock as they were extremely popular in Southeast Asia and NZ.

I landed a 180 lbs bluefin with PE5 in 11 minutes in Cape Cod last Nov.
The PE reel looks nice, but you can not judge the reel just by the apprearance until you use them for big tuna.
While Accurate BX series are great reels for jigging and bait fishing, I hate to say that PE reels are true jigging reels and there is no peer so far.

PE7/8 will be here soon. They are ready to ship to me. PE7/8 are BX2 600 ( 665) size reel, but even PE5/6 can handle 200 lbs tuna.
While Accurate BX2 has only anti-reverse ball bearings, PE reels have double docking system in addition to anti-reverse ball bearings.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I would def look at the Shimano Talica 16II I just got my first and they are all that and more.Perfect for what you want in a bait and jigging reel nice and light 26.5oz/40lbs max drag 22lbs strike with free spool/Lever drag/ 5.7:1/3.1:1 retreive/anti corrosion coating/ratcheting drag lever/430yrds of 80lb braid/silent twin prawl anti reverse.There is a movie of thse reels in action on the Shimano website take a look.

And a phenomenal warranty!:)
Man, That is a nice reel. Great movie also! I'll be checking out this reel at the shows.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I agree with you NO MOJO!

Man, That is a nice reel. Great movie also! I'll be checking out this reel at the shows.

And as soon as my new custom rod comes in? it will take a transformation and look like this!:):thumbsup:

On a side note:I do believe that the Jigging Master reels are good reels the only thing I dont like about them is that the anti-reverse system is always making the clicking noise when reeling,not as bad as a clicker being on though.I havent opened one up but Kil has been using these reels pretty much exclusively for the last year so thats speaks volumes about the reel. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have 2 jm reels. a first run Pe4 and a Pe5. Landed BFT in the cape over 200 with the Pe5 and 14 BFt from 50 to 100lbs here in our canyons on the Pe4. I also have a bx500 that I use up in the cape and here but will be sold promptly when Kil gets my 6 in..

The 2 speed feature is certainly nice, but not needed..

turfman

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I Have been using teh Fin Nor OFC20 reels for 3 years on my charter boat. They are excellent with great drags, and you can get them in 6-1 and 4-1 ratios. I like the low speeds -OFC20L because they give you a torque advantage on the big bluefins. I also use them drumming and chunking stripers. Versatile and the price is right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.