BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you guys share some cinder worm patterns? the one i use is tied with goat hair,hackle with red form tied over all, like a gruggler

·
Registered
315 Posts
Tail: red rabbit strip
body: red estaz
Head: black estaz or peacock hearl
---
Tail: 3 strands of estaz 2 red and one black or olive braided together
Body: Red estaz
head: black estaz or peacock hearl
---
entire fly: red crosscut rabbit strip palmered around the hook shank from bend foreward finished in front with peacock hearl

with the peacock hearl head i take 3 to 4 strands tie them in and wrap tightly around the head until desired thickness...

all of the above you can add a wrap of .030 lead wire around the shank before tieing the fly

more recipies later

[ 03-21-2004, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Rowdy125 ]

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
striperonfly Welcome to the barn. You already have some good patterns. I wish I had the patience to use them although I have had some success with the "worm" pattern. Again welcome. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Try this:

Cinder Worm Fly Video

Click on the Cinder Worm Fly link to open the video.

Unfortunately last year when I hit a massive cinder worm hatch in the Great Egg, I didn't have the right flies. I went home and tied these up for the next night, and surprisingly they worked. Although I only caught some huge perch that night, the stripers probably would have taken it too if they were as thick in the creek as they were the night before, and if I had the boat again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like Ken's clam worm fly. Simple and easy to tie and does an excellent job of mimicking the vague outline and transparency of cinder/clam worms.

hook: your choice (I like 2's, 1x short eagle claw 253/254)
pale yellow 6/0 or monocord. sparse veil of pale orange glow bug yarn over a very sparse veil of chartruese glow bug yarn.
The fly can be tied as small as 1/2 inch up to three inches or more. Try fishing multiple flies on a greased line. The fly doesn't look like much but it produces.

Regards,

Flatwing

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
San Juan Worm? San Juan Worm??? You think these tough saltwater fish over here will eat a wimpy trout pattern designed for the west coast?? :D Yeah, you're probably right, they will.....

·
Registered
315 Posts
heh they eat flesh flies crosscut red rabbit palmered up the hookshank. hmmm san juan worm with bigger chenelle probably work perdy good on a dead drift.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by Rowdy125:
heh they eat flesh flies crosscut red rabbit palmered up the hookshank. hmmm san juan worm with bigger chenelle probably work perdy good on a dead drift.
Me thinks so too... :D I know they work real well on Tarpon!

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
You gotta post the pics on a picture hosting website first in order to post them here. It won't attach them like in an e-mail. "Moment of Fame" is a free hosting site that a lot of guys use.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Hmm, don't know why it's not working for you. I tried to post it too and it wouldn't work for me. Oh well, at least the link works. Cool looking flies. They'll probably all work if fished properly.

[ 03-25-2004, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts