BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I previously posted a topic about "CircleHook Setting". I got a lot of great responses and advise - Thanks.

I'd like to take it a step further with tog this winter. Although we're right on top of bass season, I'd like to get some rigs tied for toggin - once the striper bite fades a bit (or the blackfish get fat enough :D ).
Does anyone use circles for wreck fishing tog?
If so, what size hook do you recomend? (I almost don't mind "upsizing" in hopes of targeting bigger fish and "missing" the smaller guys).
Do you recommend mono or fluro? What size?
I plan to come off a dropper loop on a hi/lo rig - is this ok or do you recommend a 3-way swivel?
Tog have such a "finicky" bite which changes due to so many variables, I was just thinking circles may be the answer.
Thanks in advance for all the responses.
Red...

·
Registered
994 Posts
I picture a tog poking out from its hiding spot, eating your crab, and backing up into its hole. Not exactly the swallow and run that a circle hook does its best work on. Im interested in the responses though-Ive never tried it myself.

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Catching Tog is hard enough, I cant imagine trying to do it with circles...I have never tried it, but it sounds like one helluva challenge.

cant wait to see some responses on this topic

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You must set the hook on a tog( you almost have to anticipate the bite) so circle hooks do not work. Also 3 way swivel is a no-go. There are many different rigs but if you have never tog fished just go with a dropper loop about 5 inches over the sinker. Tog are not line shy so you do not need fluro. You may want to jump on an open boat trip or charter to get the feel for tog fishing. Capt. Adam on the Karen Ann in particular is a great tog fisherman.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that's a no.

I just thought they might catch the point when they're breaking up that crab - and with a little tension (not setting) you might have a successful hook-up.

Any other opinions - feel free to tell me it's a dumb idea
:D I won't mind...

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
In my mind, j-hooks are the only way to go with tog. You have to anticipate the hook-set, set it, and put the winch to them and get them out of their hiding spots. Nothing beats a good, strong j-hook for that.

CSStriper, looking forward to the 17th of December. :D

[ 09-23-2005, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: TheAdamBomb ]

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've had a better hookup rate with a small octopus hook size 5 than J's. Not the cheap ones Gamakasu or something of the same type. they can bite thru or bend a thin wire hook. Then again I use a heavey spining rig for Tog so I just like to be different.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
4/0 Octopus hooks work well as do the heavier duty Mustad Virginia style hooks. We've done lots of experimenting as those big tog can break and bend weak hooks with ease.

·
Registered
629 Posts
have seen a circle jerker catch them prettygood rigged dropshot style snelled directly to the mainline ,four in. or so above the sinker loop. not a bad rig for when theres a lot of tide.Drop that baby down baited with a big juicy hermet crab and hold on tight......

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Ok guys here the truth about circle hooks. Went to the Great Wall of Delaware, anchored up and look over at my budd and his wife,HMMMM he was tying on circle hooks. Hey I told him you gotta use thse hooks (virginia j's). Well he said let me try and see what happens. Well here is the funny part, sets his wife up and before he get to bait up she has a tog. OK he gets the fish in the box and re-baits the hook. 2 seconds latter the wife has another on, of course he has not wet a line yet and we are all catching. Puts the fish in the box and you guessed it she has another on. Well we are all laughing and now he is pissed, would not put the bait on her hook until he gets some fish. We all limited out and half the fish caught on circles by people on their first Tog trip. So this should answer you question about circles.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My only thought is that tog delicately suck in the bait, crack it up, then swallow/digest it.
I was thinking tie a dropper loop with a snelled circle coming off and reaching bottom.
The first bite I feel - slowly crank down and gently put some pressure on them - if the point catches, it's over with a slow/gentle tug - setting the hook.
I've caught tog from the jetties and from boats - I know they're finicky and tough to catch. Just thinking a modified approach using a circle may have worked.
I'll do some testing this fall. (and will most likely report my failure :rolleyes: )
Thanks

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Red, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Go for it! Maby snell 2 circles back to back...Hmm. Fished with an "old salt" that did nothing but double J's when boat fishin tog, we did quite well ;) .

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Double js with a whole calico works great for the big mommas.

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
Go out with a professional who must catch tog on a daily basis. Watch closely how they tie rigs - what line, knots and hook used. After awhile, you will notice that simplicity works.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Ditto on Capt Adam of the karen Ann

Keeps it simple

Looking forward to my trip on 11/30 with him and a adam bomb togging trip with the G man

·
Registered
629 Posts
i have to think ive seen it all..i mate on the premier bottom fishin charterboat outta barnegat lt.we fish up here till dec.then pound them out of cape may till the water gets too cold .we take a lot of exceptionl blackfisherman places where they can do their thing.ive netted/gaffed slipperys over twenty lbs.ive seen sheephead bay pinhookers with their sidewinders using #2 virginia`s with half a jonah`s crab .belmar sharpies /charter capt`s & mates with their fiddlers and asian crabs..world record holder lil tony fishing long leaders and a slack line...the orental`s with tiny jap hooks....all catch slobs on a regular basis.. match your rigging to the conditions- depth and temp-how hard the tide is running.......

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Rusty, would that be the Mary M ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts