BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else see the fox on the beach out there?

At first I thought it was a big cat... then I thought it was a dog... then I took out my flood light and saw it was a fox.

Really cool first for me, had no idea they live on the beach.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
skunked,
yes there are guite a few of them back there..
Watch you catch if you fishing the backside during the night,do not keep your fish laying on the sand or at the water edge.They will rob you blind and enjoy a free meal on you....

Years ago I use to feed live mullet to one that would come right up to the boatramp while I was castnetting bait...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Seems as if they are everywhere now. There aren't many Friday nights when we drive to our place in Del. when we don't see at least one along the road. Saw 3 in one freshly plowed field in the middle of the day a few weeks ago and earlier in the year there was one walking down the middle of Rt.202 in King OF Prussia. Since people stopped trapping seems as if the predator population has increased dramatically. As a note to what Nightstrikes said, about 30 years ago while we we were camping at Sam Rayburn Reservoir in Texas on a bass fishing trip we had a coyote that came into our campsite every night looking for handouts. Pretty neat thing for a couple of Yankees that had seen very few coyotes before then.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I had one steal two fresh herring that I was using as chunk bait from shore at station ave this past spring. It was the biggest fox I've ever seen.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I didn't think there were any foxes out at CISP anymore, ever since the coyotes moved in. I guess there's still one or two hanging around. That is, until the coyotes kill them off too.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
What about the Deer prints you find on the beach?
May be a little early but you will see them!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Originally posted by Bgsdad:
What about the Deer prints you find on the beach?
May be a little early but you will see them!
i saw 'em there last december, they walked right out of the water on the bay side and went right to the dunes, blew my mind! i've been killin deer all my life and never thought i'd see tracks on the beach!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I saw 3 deer on the curve into OC from the CISP last week. They were standing near the last house on the east side.
Could all the foxes have something to do with the endangered Piping Plover? Nah, it must be the 4x4's.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
About 5 or so years ago I was in the middle of the park on a pathway with my girlfirend at the time, wasn't paying any attention(was kinda busy) and when I opened my eyes this fox was about 5 feet away from me. Scared the sh-- out of me but then again I was a little bit on the bombed side that night. Lots of foxes back there.

·
Registered
240 Posts
In the last 6 Months I saw 2 Fox at seperate times and places in my home town of Bellmawr South Jersey ! They reside in a very small patch of woods and roam the neighborhood at night for food. They look pretty cool !

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
LAST WEEK I saw 6 deer swimming across the ICW near the old railroad bridge in south Ocean city
I think there is a family of fox in the waste pile by marker 304 as I've seen more than one there several times this summer

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've seen deer back in that general area too willie, probably 4-5 years back I couldn't believe my eyes. Still haven't seen a coyote

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I have seen a few coyotes back on 550 by Island Marine. I have a friend that lives up the street from Collins lumber and they see them all the time. Big suckers.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Timber Rattlers in Cape May County? Hmmmmm.... You're right, I'd have to see that first to believe it.

Coyotes in NJ (and the East Coast) are much much larger than their cousins out west. They resemble shaggy German Shepherds on the small side (but still rather large). I used to have them where I lived before, and I have many more where I live now. Pretty common in SJ, just not a lot of people see them. A lot of people hear them at night, but they don't know what they're hearing... ;) They are taking over the traditional fox habitats, as they drive them out or kill them. Pretty soon you won't see many foxes in SJ.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, since we hear the coyotes howling at night, we have been keeping a watchful eye on the shi-tzu when we let him out at night.

Wow, I thought that fox sighting was a rarity. Thanks for all the info. I figured it was safe to leave the bait out at night since the sea gulls couldn't see it, but I won't do that anymore!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Joe,
If the coyotes will kill a fox, I figure they might kill my dog and make a meal out of him! :eek:
skunked

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yepper. Watch out, they will take out the family froo-froo dog with no problems. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts