BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used fresh clams for bass and drum before but I keep hearing about Clam bellies. I am not sure what the difference is, I am assuming you cut off the tongue. Does this make a big difference for bass and drum?

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
"Clam Bellies" are the clam less the tongue.

If my memory serves me correctly the "King Of Clam Belly" himself, Fred Uhlman, aka "Chunking said~ "bellies outfish tongues 10-1".

When bass fishing that is

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bellies are in stock at Hand's Too, we sell them in two and four gallon. They work great as chum laddled over the side, you can also use fresh shucked as hook baits or buy em in the shell and shuck your baits as you need them. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
tim....i made a chum pot are they frozen?? (the bellies)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sea devil, yes they are frozen, the 2 gal is round and the 4 is square.One guy i know of puts them in a 5 gal bucket of seawater to thaw and the juice makes a slurry that he laddles out as a slick, Darrin call ahead for availability right now I only keep a few on hand at a time Tnaks Tim.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hey seeker2

Clam bellies are what is left of the surf clam after processing. The meat is divided into three sections. The tongue which is sliced and used for fried clam strips. The salvage which is the strap, siphon and abductor muscles. These are chopped and canned and sent around the world for clam chowder.

What is left is the bellie. The digestive system wrapped in a thin membrane of skin. The bellie is green and brown so you don't want to see this in chowder.

Just about all of the clam flavor comes from the bellie. Thats what makes it such a great bait. I have a saltwater aquarium and when I drop a whole shucked clam in everything heads for the bellie first.

They were a byproduct of the clam industry but now that there is a demand the industry is including them in their business.

The only clam bellies that can be used as bait are the surf clams that are hand shucked. Machine shucked clams tear the bellie apart so there is nothing left. :D :D :D

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
That was last year. The company moved and there is a fence around it. You can only get in by calling ahead for an appointment. They are working to sell the bellies as a profit since they have become so popular. The days of free bellies are over. :(

Fence and guard were needed to satisfy national users of clams who are worried about product tampering. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Originally posted by chunking:
That was last year. The company moved and there is a fence around it. You can only get in by calling ahead for an appointment. They are working to sell the bellies as a profit since they have become so popular. The days of free bellies are over. :(

Fence and guard were needed to satisfy national users of clams who are worried about product tampering. :rolleyes:
See what you started Fred!

Now they have come to fencing in the area and posting a guard on the bellies! They are moving to be worth their weight in gold since you aired them on your show and promoted them here on the barn! ;) Pretty soon they will be $1.00 a pound! :D :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.