BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son found this on the beach in Frisco,NC back in August. At first we thought it was some kind of clam or scallop, but it hasn't opened or started to smell. There is a seam that runs around it but it stops where it would be hinged. It also feels hollow and it is light. Could also be a seed of some kind. Pics are a little blurry but any help would be appreciated.

[ 09-29-2005, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: captbill35 ]

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Looks like a lil cheeseberger to me. :D

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Looks like some kind of nut.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hard to tell without holding it but I'll guess.

Looks like something that was worn down by tumbling in the surf for a long time. Sand will take the edges and corners off stones and rocks. Could be some type of nut but by now you should hear something rattling inside. Probably isn't or wasn't alive. After this much time it should smell.

Sometimes tar balls are washed up and are either black or brown. Often man made items that have been rolling around on the bottom will pick up the small pieces of tar or heavy oil and form these balls. When I was in the clam industry we sometimes found large tar balls mixed in with the clams that were dredged up. After breaking them open we found civil war musket balls and world war 2 handgrenades inside. All knids of ammunition that had rolled around on the bottom for years. Sometimes these pieces were still armed and dangerous. Shut down our plant one day when two rusted grenades were opened. Police removed them with a robot and detonated in a hole behind our plant.

These tar balls don't often make it to the beach but some do after a bad storm. Looking at the picture I don't think it's any type of ammunition. I believe it's too flat for that. Still go with a seed or a man made object that has been worn down by tumbling in the surf.

Or it could be an alien seed pod waiting for some unsuspecting human to open it. :D

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Originally posted by ihunt49:
Looks like some kind of nut.
Yeah, but whats he holding? :D

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. I'm going with a seed. It is hollow but there is nothing rolling around in it. The object getting worn down from tumbling was my first thought but in the 2nd and 3rd pics it shows that the one side isn't worn.
And it is not sitting in a can of sausages, those are my fingers.

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
put it on EBAY. someone will be dumb enough to buy it....

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I have one just like it that I picked up in the surf in Ft Lauderdale, FL. My guess has always been that it is some kind of seed. I have had it for 2 years now sitting on my dresser in one of those piles of stuff you pull out of your pants pockets. Mine feels like it is solid, not hollow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts