BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you walk in to a bait shop and ask for clam, and they reply we have fresh chowder or frozen/salted surf what do you pick?

went with fresh chowder thinking fresh is best, not a tap

·
Registered
19,549 Posts
Fresh Surf the best. I once went fishing on a boat that was using non-surf clam for bait, a smaller clam, but I didn't know if they were chowders or not, just smaller than surf clam, We loaded the boat with bass, I had 14 myself.

But surf clam is what is generally accepted as the best.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I don't think they work any different than surf clams.We have used them plenty of times and caught tons of fish. Had five guys on the boat one day and limited on Bass and Drum using hrad clams. Just a pain in the butt to shuck.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Quahogs?

not sure on the spelling but they are native to the delaware bay and they work.But surf clams are bigger stinkier also easier to open.Dont need a clam knife for surf clams.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea them buggers were a pain to get open. Half of them I took a rock and smashed
Almost broke my clam knife

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
SIC Wit It said:
If you walk in to a bait shop and ask for clam, and they reply we have fresh chowder or frozen/salted surf what do you pick?

went with fresh chowder thinking fresh is best, not a tap[/quote ]Nothing else goin' on anywhere else,take both.What do you have to lose?I salt any clams I have left over and keep them in the fridge and I prefer them them sometimes,they are tougher and the fish dont let go of 'em.

·
Registered
239 Posts
bring a massons mallet and a pice of scrap 2x10 smash it then pick off what shell you can then put the whole thing on the hook. it works better and quicker then tryin to shuckem with a knife on a rock'n roll'n day. chowders are tougher then surf , but if you can get some,try razzor clams, but don't forget the cocktail sauce,if the fishin is slow they're tasty..!:D

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I usually try to get fresh surf clams if they have them but if they don't I'll get the salted surf clams. Caught stripers, drum, croakers, flounder, tog, king fish, and bluefish with salted clams.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Everyone to there own

BigSexy said:
I don't think they work any different than surf clams.We have used them plenty of times and caught tons of fish. Had five guys on the boat one day and limited on Bass and Drum using hrad clams. Just a pain in the butt to shuck.
About the best answer. Surf best, chowder second, frozen and always keep Gulp clams just in case you get the urge. I have had some customers that only use salted.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts