BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here do this in Barnegat Bay? Looking for some info on how to go about doing it. I know you need a clam license and a clam rake which i will get. What time of the year is best? Is there a specific tide i should tagret them during? Are they safe to eat? What areas are best to do this? These are some of the questions that i could use some help on. Even if your not in Barnegat Bay i would appreciate your tips. I will be using my 15ft whaler starting aroud June so i will have access to shallow water spots. I will be going out of Waretown for reference. Any info is appreciated. If you dont feel safe posting it here email me at [email protected] or pm me.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
227 Posts
I go during low tide and usually use my feet. I have a clam rake as well and use that on occasion. Most areas that are exposed during low tide will hold clams. I know other people have different techniques etc. Just remember, no clamming on Sundays. Good luck!

·
Registered
602 Posts
get one of these!!!
http://www.killerclamrakes.com/ (barn member 'Margaritaville')

i've had one for a few years and i outclam my buddies, big time. :razz:
i have the smaller, original one.
anytime is good to go, but low tide gets you to more places.

pull your boat into a foot of water, jump out, open a beer, and have at it! i wear waders because last year i got chiggers...NOT COOL!!! :nuts:

yep, no clamming on sundays and watch for closures here:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/wms/closures.html

they'll close on occassion when the water may get fouled, you can also sign up for email pushes from that site so you dont have to check it everytime you go out.

also check this out:
http://www.nj.gov/dep/bmw/waterclass.htm

click on the interactive map for areas of closure, and MAKE SURE you don't clam on leased ground (usually around stakes). you'll have a very angry lessee chasing you around the bay with a rake. :fighting:

we go a lot, even have my comm license so i can go all year (shoob, see handle).

hope that helps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i was in the bay ( barnegat ) yesterday water temp 44d air 46 d
wind out of west 10 - 15 mph - i clam with a wet suit this time of the yr - got my limit plus i have a comm lic
i see that you are from pa - as a non resident you can only clam june 1 till sept 30 lic cost $ 20 and 150 daily limit get a shell fish booklet when you get your lic it will show all the areas that are open

papete are you from PA and there are no chiggers in the water back in the pines yes the cost of a non res lic is $ 250
you can buy a lot of clams for that
olclamman

seeya down the bay ( barnegat )

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
b smart and buy a rake. i used feet all of three times and cut the bottom of my foot open all 3 times on conch. and then mud gets in cut and than it hurts to walk for a few days and and and....lol. you remember how good those clams are .lol. i have a realy messed up back and raking kills me . so i rake a little and now wear those footy things

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
since i am and out of stater i am going to get into this during the summer.. i need to look over the maps on where we can go and not go.. i know dead low is a good tied to do and always wear some type of footy

·
Registered
602 Posts
If they weren't chiggers they were some other horrendous monster that invaded my skin on my legs.

From now on my good waders from cabelas are always on!!!
Bad, bad itch!

It's not the cost of the comm license, it's the value!!! :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
So, I started doing some clamming last year. My question is: how the heck do you cook these things so its not like trying to eat a rubber band?
a blender, then put them back in the shell!

smaller the better...put them on the grill and AS SOON AS the shell opens, they're done.

butter sponge........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
IBSP. You will get a map when you purchase your license. You don't need a rake me and my buddy dug up like 200 by hand. Wear water shoes, wouldn't go bare foot I got tore up by crabs last year and from stepping on broken shells. A mesh bag so you can put the clams in and carry them around while digging. Last time I went was either in end of july or begining of August.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im only 17 so no beer.:D I think i have a few locations in mind right now probably the bars on both sides of Double creek channel and high bar channel and maybe the bars right under the lighthouse where the cut is. Also what you guys normally wear for foot protection? Will flip flops be ok or maybe borrow my dads crocs (even though there ugly as hell:D)? Thanks for the help so far guys.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I used to live in Forked River. We always went clamming by Sedge Island. Never used a rake over there; always by foot with heavy socks or water shoes. They are only a couple of inches below the surface and feel like a rock when you step on them. Have an inner tube with a bushel basket and scoop net for crabs. Maybe even a fly swatter for those annoying green heads that always find the inner tubes. :fighting: Just ride the channel towards the light and Sedge is on your left. Check the map when you pick up the license. Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
rcbrown - if you want to steam them put them in a alum
tray the throwaway type a little h2o - than on the grill -
the juice is great with a little butter and celery seed - to sip or dunk the clams in - if you want to eat them raw keep them ON
ice and NOT in the water - they will keep for a wk or more if kept in the fridge with a wet towel over them not in a plasitc bag or wher they cannot breath
oclamman
DO NOT OVER COOK THEM EAT AS SOON THE SHELL OPENS
seeya down the bay ( barnegat )

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I clam in Sea Isle. I use a 4 prong garden rake from HD, I also use neoprene socks that you can buy online at Sports Authority, best socks around for clamming, keeps feet from getting cut up. I usually go 2 hours before low tide while the clams are still sticking out of the mud some. I use hand basket to put my clams in, rinse them off when done clamming and then i put in a 5 gallon bucket for the ride home so the clams can self clean themsselves. I leave them in the bucket about 30 mins once i get back to the camper. Refridge and they last about 2 weeks in fridge, do not put clams in plastic bags. You can freeze clams whole. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.