BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Chunking,
I was coming through the sound a few days ago, late in the afternoon at low tide and saw 8 to 10 guys clamming in Jarvis sound. i never knew that to be a good area to clam. Has that area always been open this time of year?

By the way, thanks for the bait for the grass shrimp net the other day. Still catching good. that is when the gulls don't get the bait at low tide!

Tom Byrne

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M ville,
no - I really do not do much clamming. Only a couple of times with a friend of mine. He usually treaded them. i just was surprised by the number of boats and guys clamming that day. it must be fairly productive to have that much activity.

TB

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I was talking to a clammer this morning. Area was opened up after years of being closed. Most of the guys are commercial clamming and are from outside the area. Areas where there are plastic stakes are areas leased to them. Other areas anyone can clam. He said the clamming was great and that they were getting quite a few bushels a day. Will be closed come the end of April.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Evening Insure,

you mentioned in your first post about a grass shrimp net. Do you drag for them from a boat, or is this something smaller you use like a seine net?

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reelyhooked,
Fred over at No Bones bait and tackle in Wildwood, turned me on to a small net used to catch the grass shrimp. It is just a flat net, maybe 3 foot by 3 foot. Hang a bunker in the middle, and leave it sit off the dock for a little while. Each time you pull it up the grass shrimp stay on the net. It pays to rub elbows with the experts. Fred (aka chunking) knows his stuff.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That's pretty interesting. Thanks. I've never heard of anything like that. I guess it all depends on where you put it, and how long you stay at it. How productive is it? Can you catcn a couple quarts in a morning?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.