BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now craig is probably sipping on a cold beer and enjoying some steamed clams.

Tide was low at noon today so Craig, my father and myself headed out for a quick clamming trip.

less than 2 hours and 450 clams later, we are back to crusing the sea isle blvd looking at some nice eye candy.

Met Bill, the captain of Susie II and dropped off a custom clam rake to him.

It was beautiful out on the ICW today, a nice breeze kept the gnats and mosquitos away.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Jason,

Be careful with those magic rakes. If too many get out there in the general public there won't be any clams left.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Well it's 11 pm and i'm just now able to move again :D
They shore were gooooooooood !
Thanx J , the rake is gonna get plenty of use.

Joe ,
Little necks up to cherystones. It 's tough to find anything bigger.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe,
The clams in the area I am clamming now is from undersized to cherrystones. Out of the 300 that my pop and I had, we had less than 10 chowders

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Jason--

I was out behind Avalon on Saturday and we had our limit of 450 in about 2 hours also. Most of the clams we had were on the bigger side. Not all choweders but not cherrys either. I think I am interested in one of those clam rakes. I love clamming but I got sand jiggers AGAIN and I said I will never clam again. Who know's! Care swapping some spots? Email me and let me know.

Thanks Bro!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Kim and I have been kicking around the idea of clamming, but I have to admit, I don't even know where to begin. I have been telling her that as soon as the boat is done that I would contact Margaritaville or Freedom to show us the ropes. I was assuming that we would likely be doing it the old fashioned way....wiggling toes in the mud and sand and digging by hand. Now what is this about sand Jiggers? Parasites :eek: ? I am not into being eaten from the top (flies) and bottom (aquatic parasites)

Someone please help :eek: :confused: Jason, might you find it in your heart to help us one day and if we like it..........we might need one of those nifty rakes. My skiff will get some use then :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I have never gotten chiggers clamming. I have had them plenty of times from fall bow but never got them clamming. I wonder if they were walking though some sod banks or weedy areas?

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have gotten Chiggers from clamming, but it is not all that often or severe.

Jimmy,
When you and Kim are ready, I will take you guys out. There are a couple of different places to try. We can try the "wiggling" the toes, but if that fails, I always keep some spare rakes in the boat for the hard bottom.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Thanks Jason, It won't be too far off.......once the Boat is done, I can relax. And the chigger thing, you got them from in the water, I thought they were terrestrial?

I have gotten leaches wading through Scottland run from WillowGrove lake toward 55 but all we take is a salt shaker to get them off, then there is a little sting and some blood and we are back on our way, but this chigger thing sounds like hell.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have always called them sea chiggers, but whatever they are, the bite is similar to that of a land chigger. However, the length of the irritation seems to be longer and more intense.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Margaritaville,

Have you heard that they may close the clamming bed near the Whale Creek Island?? I was told when the new book comes out on July 4th, it will show as being closed.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I get those pesty chiggers when I clam in an area when there is a lot of seaweed. I usually wear long pants and my clamming socks to keep chiggers away.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nospot,
I did not hear that. Are you talking about the beds that are closest to whale creek or across the channel from them? There is a mud flat that is just to the west of the mouth of whale creek that has never really produced for me.

I clam right in that area. The clams are cleaner now than ever before. I wonder what the deal is.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I jsut called water resources in trenton and they told me it is slated to be closed to allow the area to come back to better numbers, not for pollution.

Oh well, I will find another place to try and make the clams extinct. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts