BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to venture into the world of recreational clamming for bait and fresh steamers. Any advise on where to pick up a license and regs? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Capt Tates in Dennisville has them for the new year and we also carry various clam rakes.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Ker,
Good luck with it. It is enjoyable and worth the 10 bucks for the rec license.

Two things to watch out for.
1. Get a map of the area, they are free when you get your license. some areas are closed year round, some are private beds and off limits and some areas are open only in the winter.

2. Make sure EVERYONE in the boat with you has the same type of license. If you plan on taking your kids, even if they do not leave the boat, legally they MUST have a license on them. If you have one person that has a commercial license, he must either have a recreational license and abide by the 150 clam limit or everyone must have a commercial.

I was told by a FGW officer that EVERYONE in the boat regardless if they clam or not must have a clamming license. The only good side to this is that you can get more for yourself.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
In New Jersey you either apply for a rec license or commercial license. Not both!

I don't think they can give you a ticket for having non clammers on your vessel with a recreational license. If they check you when your in the water. Anyone in the water clamming has to present a license.

If you have a commercial license or someone with you clamming has one, everyone on board must have a commercial license. The reason being, you can sell the clams with a commercial license, but can't with a rec license.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
ithink the law states vehicle, so it not just the boat you could be clamming from your car too.

best to copy the rule & regs and read them for your self. make sure you got your bifolcas on the print is small

freedom ots.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Freedom,
Yep with a commercial license it's vessel or vehicle. Even to transport clams all persons must have a license in their possession.

Recreational it is illegal to havest clams without a license.

Commercial you can't even be on the vessel or in the vehicle unless you hold a commercial license.

It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Be real careful. My bro-in-law and his friend were stopped and cited for $250 each last summer. Both had a recreational license and were clamming by the island in Herford Inlet. When they were coming back in to NW the Fish & Game officer flagged them down from the roadway. He watched them w/ binoculars while they were clamming. Unfortunately they were in the wrong area, had some that were the wrong size, had a few more than the 300 total they were allowed. I may have some of the details wrong...but it cost them $500 total, and the officer of course got to keep the clams. Clamming...sounds like fun doesn't it?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Johnnie M,
They dont take kindly to people harvesting in illegal waters even for bait clams. You never know when the're watching you either. I've seen people get tickets on the beach for picking up surf clams without a license.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've done it recreationaly for about 10 years, I've never got stopped. It sounds like fun, but it really is hard on your back. You have to find the right mud, the kind where you sink in about a foot. And as far as steamers go, you're lucky if one out of every 20 is steamer size. The couple times a year I go, is worth the 10.00 just to slurp down some fresh clams. Have fun, and watch you prop.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
ShellFish Regulations

Mollusks (Shellfish)
1. All persons must be licensed to harvest any
hard clams,soft clams,surf clams and oysters.
2. It is illegal to harvest clams,oysters and
mussels from condemned waters,even for bait
purposes.It is also illegal to harvest surf
clams from beaches adjacent to water classified
as condemned..
Water classification charts are available from
licence agents,any state shellfish office or
Marine Police Station.Charts are updated
annually.
3. Shellfish harvesting is prohibited before
sunrise,after sunset and on Sundays.
4. Harvesting of clams,oysters and mussels on
public grounds is restricted to the use of
hand implements.
5. It is illegal to harvest shellfish from leased
grounds.These grounds are delineated by
stakes or buoys set by the lease holder.Charts
of the lease may be examined a the Nacote
Creek or Bivalve Shellfish Offices during
regular business hours..
Hard Clams
1. No person shall harvest more than 150 clams
per day unless such person is a holder of a
commercial clam license.Only certified
shellfish dealers may purchase clams from
commercial harvesters.All persons selling
clams commercially must tag each container
listing date of harvest,name and address of
the harvester and the waters from which the
shellfish were harvested.
2.)A non-resident recreational license is valid
only during the months of June,July,August
and September.
3.)Anyone engaged in any clamming activity with
someone holding a commercial clam license
must also possess their own commercial clam
license.
4.)It is illegal to dredge hard clams.Hand
implements are the only legal harvest methods.
5.)The minimum size of hard clams that may be
harvested is 1-1/2 inches in length.Clams
less than 1-1/2 inches in length must be
immediately returned to the bottom from which
they were taken.
6.)It is illegal to harvest shellfish on Sunday
except on the seasonal waters of the Navesink
and Shrewbury Rivers between Nov.1 and Apr.30.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
In New Jersey you either apply for a rec license or commercial license. Not both!
Hookin up, That is not true, I have possesed both commercial and rec since they changed the laws about 10 years ago. I take them both with me and if the person I am clamming with has a commercial license then I go all out. If the guy only has a rec, they I sit back and catch only 150.

Years ago, The law was not as strict about mixing recreational and commercial people on the same boat or vehicle. When I was a kid, my dad had the commercial license and my bro and I had a recreational. but combined we always kept more than 450. Now, they have closed that loophole, but frankly at 8 and 10 years old, if we both got our 150, then we were doing something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts